Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Aftab4u (PVT EMPLOYEE)     10 July 2012

Cross examination techniques- 498a, dv, crpc125, divorce etc

Cross Examination Techniques- 498a, DV, CrPC125, Divorce etc

• The important thing to cross opposite party in a cross examination is to prove her false statement in her affidavit which can enable us to file perjury case under 340 CrPC.

•  Remember apart from the documentary evidence which you might be having, cross is the most important step in cases of matrimonial cases because most of the incidents happen within the four walls of the house and for which there may not be any proof or evidence. So your advocate must do the cross in such a way so as to bring out reasonable doubt in the mind of judge about the character of the wife and to disapprove her statements.

•          Preparation for a cross examination is very time consuming and an involved process. Most of the advocates asks questions on-the-fly and thinks that is the correct way to cross. No…Selecting each and every question for cross is a very involved process.

•          The important thing to note in a cross is to bring out her lies. Since every complaint is different hence there cannot be a general formula for questions. It has to be prepared on a case to case basis.

•          You need to be very clear to what question you are expecting from the other party and then frame the question accordingly.

•          Never ask straight questions.

•          Your opposite party should never know why you are asking a particular question.

•          Never ask the question for which she knows the facts clearly.

•          Never ask the questions in the sequence of the complaint as she will be able to tell the answer like a story.

•          Prepare the questions in sequence of the complaint (minimum400+) and then categorize the question in various topics like perjury, desertion, cruelty, maintenance, dowry etc. So this way questions gets shuffled. Now after first level of shuffling again shuffle the questions so that no two adjacent questions should have any similarity in any manner, sequence, event or subject.

•          You must be present with your advocate during the cross to assist him for any doubt or clarifications.

•          Do all the ground work your self of preparing questions.

Example1:

Statement from a 498A FIR: “my parent have given 40 sovereigns of jewelry worth 40 lakh Rs to my husband during the marriage”

Your Advocate to your wife: Madam can you give the exact breakup the jewelry?

Opposite party-Wife: She is going to fumble as it is impossible to give the breakup which is going to match 40 sovereigns.

Your Advocate to your FIL: Sir, May I know what profession you are doing?

Opposite party-FIL: I have a grocery store.

Your Advocate to your FIL: Where do you buy the groceries for the shop.

Opposite party-FIL: From city market.

Your Advocate to your FIL: How often do you buy grocery?

Opposite party-FIL: I buy every week.

Your Advocate to your FIL: Good. How much do you buy grocery every week?

Opposite party-FIL: Approximately 10000/- per week..

Your Advocate to your FIL: Good. Do you have receipts for all this? Do you maintain it?

Opposite party-FIL: Yes, I file all the bills in the file and maintain it.

Your Advocate to your FIL: Sir, May I know you have the bills/receipt for the 40 lakhs jewelry you had claimed to be given to your SIL.

Opposite party-FIL: Fumbles, No I don’t have.

Your Advocate to your FIL: Sir, May I know even for 10000/- you are maintaining file but you do not have receipt for 40 lakh jewelry!!

Opposite party-FIL: No answer.

Your Advocate to your FIL: Sir, I suggest to you that you had given false complaint in the FIR that 40 lakh was given. I state that no such jewelry was given to SIL or to his family.

Opposite party-FIL: No..No We have given.

Example2:

Your Advocate to your wife: Madam you had written in the complaint that you had given a gas connection to your husband as dowry?

Opposite party-Wife: Yes.

Your Advocate to your wife: Madam can you tell the court from which agency you had purchased the gas connection?

Opposite party-Wife: I don’t remember.

Your Advocate to your wife: Can you atleast tell us from which company you had purchased?

Your Advocate to your wife: Can you tell us who used to deliver cylinder to your house?

Opposite party-Wife: Gas agency boys.

Your Advocate to your wife: Madam can you tell us who used to receive the cylinder in your house?

Opposite party-Wife: I used to receive at house.

Your Advocate to your wife: Madam normally they give a receipt after payment? Where agency name is mentioned. Is it correct?

Opposite party-Wife: Yes.

Your Advocate to your wife: I state that your husband only has purchased the gas connection for XXX Agency and you are lying that you had purchased the gas connection and you are unable to tell the name of the agency also even though you were receiving the cylinder at house from the said agency.

Opposite party-Wife: Fumbles. No…No We only had purchased the gas connection.

Example3: We have given a washing machine to husband.

Your Advocate to your wife: Can you tell us the exact cost of the washing machine?

Opposite party-Wife: 15000/-

Your Advocate to your wife: Can you tell us the brand of the washing machine?

Opposite party-Wife: XXX

Your Advocate to your wife: Can you tell us the size of the washing machine?

Opposite party-Wife: XXX

Your Advocate to your wife: Can you tell us the in which shop you purchased this washing machine?

Opposite party-Wife: Fumbles…I don’t remember.

Your Advocate to your wife: Can you tell us the date on which you brought this washing machine?

Your Advocate to your wife: How you paid for purchasing this washing machine?

Opposite party-Wife: Cash

Your Advocate to your wife: Madam. Look at this receipt. Your husband with his savings purchased the washing machine and here is the receipt in his name. Request the judge to mark the receipt in R series.

Example4: We have born the entire expenses of the marriage.

Your Advocate to your wife: Can you tell us the exact cost/expense of the marriage?

Opposite party-Wife: 10 lakhs rs.

Your Advocate to your wife: Can you give us the break up of each expense…at least broadly

Opposite party-Wife: She will fumble.

Your Advocate to your wife: Can you tell us the salary of your father at the time of marriage.

Opposite party-Wife: 10000 per month

Your Advocate to your wife: Can you tell us your husbands salary at the time of marriage?

Opposite party-Wife: Jumps suddenly!!! 50000/- rs per month.

Your Advocate to your wife: Madam, I suggest to you that since your family were relatively poor and expressed inability to bear marriage expense and hence most the marriage expense was done by your husbands family.

Opposite party-Wife: No…No

Learning

2 Replies

(Guest)
Very nice dear, appriciated.

S.N GUPTA111 (Retired)     11 July 2012

Some More Examples also need to addressed E.g. when wife complains in FIR that from fith day of Marriage I was being harrassed by inlaws for dowry,MIL took away all jewellary within few days of marriage,for few occassion jewellary was given then it was fully blocked by MIL,Not happy with my Inlaws ill treatment ,Husband family tried to burn me by keeping gas open,Brother inlaw tried to molest etc etc

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register