Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sandesh Surase   07 September 2020

correction of my father's name,mother's name and surname on birth certificate.

there is a correction of my father's name and surname on my birth certificate.so the problem is that my father's name and surname have only one extra letter in their name.
while my mother's name is correct but it has a adjective attached to her name.ex.lakshmi-lakshmibai.
and the birth certificate is issued by my home village's grampanchyat.
so my question is that should I correct the name of my mother or should i keep it as it is and which authorities should I go for the name correction?
please help.

Learning

1 Replies

175B083 Mahesh P S   02 January 2021

Hello,

You can make correct minute mistakes in your birth certificate. 

Total changes creating a new name are not legally permissible in order to avoid fraudulent applicants. You can make a minor change of name of your father in your birth certificate in India by moving an application for the same before the authorities where your birth has been registered.

It is actually possible to get an incorrect name amended in the birth certificate, provided you have documents to collaborate your claim. 

You will need to submit the following documents to the Registrar of Births and Deaths in your Municipality – 

• Marriage certificate of your parents with their correct name mentioned on it
  • Hospital documents, such as discharge papers where the name of your parents and your date of birth is clearly mentioned 

In addition to these proofs you will also need to provide the following –

• An affidavit made on a Rs.100 Stamp Paper, duly attested by a Class I Magistrate
  • Copies of 'change of name' advertisement published in two local newspapers
  • Newspapers have a standard format for publishing change of name
  • You can also have the change of name published in the Government Press in your State. The same will then be published in the gazette, copies of which you will need to attach with your application
  • You will also need to fill in a requisite form (that can be collected from the Municipal office at a small fee) for correction of name

All the above documents will need to be submitted to the Registrar of Births and Deaths in your Municipality along with an application, the format of which is given below –

Subject: Correction in name of my father/mother in my birth certificate

To,
The Registrar of Births & Deaths
Udhagamandalam (Ooty) Municipality
Nilgiris District
Tamil Nadu

From
G N Shewta Kanan
House #123
Street #13
Upper Coonor
Tamil Nadu

Dear Sir/Madam,

I, G R Shweta Kanan was born in Ashwini Hospital, Wellington on 13th November 1992 to Mrs. P R Aiswarya and Mr. G N Ravi Kanan. 

As per government regulations a Birth Certificate was issued in my name by your office. I would like to bring to your notice that my mother's name has been inadvertently misspelt in the said document. 

My mother's correct name is P R AISWARYA, and not P R Aishwarya as mentioned in my birth certificate. 

I humbly request your kind office to amend the discrepancy in spelling of my mother's name in your records and issue me a fresh birth certificate with the correct spelling as enclosed in the attached documents.

Your's sincerely, 
G R Shweta Kanan

Enclosures: 

• Copy of hospital discharge slip
  • Copy of parent's marriage certificate 
  • Affidavit signed by Class –I Magistrate
  • Change of name published in the newspaper/Government gazette in original

Note:

Please note that there is a mandatory fee that you will have to pay at the time of submitting the application. Carry the application in duplicate and have your copy signed by the office, for future reference. Some Municipal Corporations sign/stamp the counterfoil of the prescribed form that you submit. Keep the same carefully. You can ask for as many copies of the birth certificate as you want. However, you will need to pay for each copy. The fee though is nominal.

Hope this was helpful

Thank you

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register