Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Hamza sk   14 April 2023

How to get stay on distress warrant application.

Session court has increased the maintenance amount from 15K to 25K. So I appealed in HC and was able to get ad interim relief of 20K. But now the judge has changed in HC and he removed the ad interim relief. 

And my wife has applied for distress warrant in Lower court for recovery of this additional 5K which I have to pay from Feb 2019 date of trial court order.

Now what are my options to get stay on this distress warrant as I am not in a position to pay the whole amount.

Reply highly appreciated.

Learning

3 Replies

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     14 April 2023

You can submit an application in court for paying the outstainding amount in installments.

1 Like

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     14 April 2023

You can request the trial court to permit you to pay the arrears amount in installments, you may have the chances of getting the amount paid in installments

Niharika Lohan   20 June 2023

Hi Hamza, I’m Adv. Niharika and here is my answer to your question.

In cases where maintenance amount gets accumulated as arrears then as the provision of S.125 allows a person to pay the order of maintenance in form of part payments. You must file an application before the court by a prudent lawyer, requesting the court to allow you to clear he arrears by means of part payments.

Normally upon the courts are flexible in this regard and allow the payment of maintenance to be made in parts. The object behind this flexibility is (i) to not burden the spouse who is paying. (ii) to satisfy the receiving party of at least a stipulated and regular amount of maintenance.

Alternatively, you can also seek revision in case your financial circumstances have changed and you find yourself unable to pay the accumulated amount.

In the case of Mohd.Nadeem vs State of UP, the Allahabad High Court (Cr. Revision No. 98 of 2015) reaffirmed the above mentioned statements and allowed the application f the husband to pay the arrears of maintenance in part payments.

I’m attaching a a PDF of the abovesaid judment for your convenient reading, kindly find it below.

Hope this information help, for more queries you can contact me at niharikalohan@yahoo.com

Attached File : 949228 20230620013832 mohammad nadeem vs state of u p another on 31 march 2015.pdf downloaded: 94 times
1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register