LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Roshni B.. (For justice and dignity)     21 May 2014

Should we ban marriage institution?

I see no difference in marriage or live in relationships now. 

a husband or wife loves his spouse as long as he/she serves him food,s*x,etc.if due to any illness he/she cannot perform any of these functions,the other spouse chooses to divorce him.interestingly,during his pheras he had vowed to stand by him in difficult times (which includes disease also). 

same thing happens in live in relations also. 

a boy/girl loves his live in partner as long as he/she serves him food,s*x,etc.if due to any illness he/she cannot perform any of these functions,his partner wil walk away. 

in both the above situations,conmittment is for name sake only.loyalty is tested during difficult times like disease,etc.but nowadays,people have failed in terms of loyalty.they only seek convenience,but are unwilling to be loyal themselves. 

even the govt. encourages to divorce the partner during illness(by enacting such grounds for divorce).in short the govt is encouraging people to USE the spouse only for benefits and fun. 

since the govt. (and people too) are no more interested in TRUE COMMITTMENT after marriage,is it logical to still uphold the institution of marriage?why not ban it altogether and legalise only live in relationships?atleast girls' side will be spared from overspending on marriage,on giving dowry,on spending so much after childbirth,etc... 

What do you feel?

PS-if this trend continues,people will dread falling chronically ill after marriage,for the fear of his partner leaving him. 

Learning

20 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     21 May 2014

It is degradation of the poise bondage of marriage institution, detrioration of long lasting social fabric based on mutual love, affection, respect and supplement the other spouse--the other side of Westerenisation, where you feeel no where i.e., neither an Indian nor a Western..

Mahesh R. Sonawane (Lawyer/Fight for justice)     21 May 2014

I am not agree with you.. there are also positive things in the society....

(Guest)

Banning anything wont do any good e it gutka, cig, beedi, likker, and even marriage.

People will continue to marry to have life partner.   For some it clicks, for most it does not, but most of them adjust with circumstances just to stay married.  some cannot cope up and end up in court  filing divorce and what not cases.

But point is banning wont help in any way at all.

Its just shaadi karo aur bhugto.

Bhugatna nahi chahte, jhelna nahi chahate, shaadi mat karo, simple.  stay alone. and dont cry that you are alone.

Find someone who is loving and compatible, grab em and stick on to them inspite of all shortcomings.  Thats the way one should think forward.

stanley (Freedom)     21 May 2014

Originally posted by : Roshni B..

I see no difference in marriage or live in relationships now. 

Under DV act even in a live in relationship maintenance, Right to residence  would be granted .

satya (Manager)     21 May 2014

Live in relationship and marriage both must prevail in society. Law must facilitate the society not to bonded the society. 

satish bhaskar (Litigant)     21 May 2014

your first line says it all. there must be just relations, in time and being.

Laxmi Kant Joshi (Advocate )     21 May 2014

I am not agree with the views of roshni ji , see positive sides also , don't go and think only negativity .......

Biswanath Roy (Advocate)     21 May 2014

Indian Society and Indian culture are based on Indian Philosophy marriage was subsequently prescribed by  MONU for creation of a better society which we are still following.  The maladies which we are facing now in our conjugal relations are being created by us for different reasons including egoistic attitude. Live-in system  which are in vogue in Western countries cannot be planted here in this Indian culture .  So I think it's not a legal query  that can be dealt with any more. 

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     22 May 2014

I admire and accept the experienced views and opinion of expert and senior learned advocate Shri Biswanath Roy sir on the subject issue.  I fully endorse his views.  Marriage is a sacred institute between man and wife which has been exploited by impatient youth these days resulting into frustrations and other complications bringing disrepute to the institution.  No doubt this cannot be ignored as a rare incident happening at few places, but banning the marriage is not a solution to it.  Live-in relationships have their disadvantages at a stronger side, hence it does not deserves a comparison with the married life.  To conclude, very frankly I disagree with the opinion of the author seeking support to ban marriage in the future for whatever reason he/she may justify.

Biswanath Roy (Advocate)     22 May 2014

@ Raj 123,

I am afraid to say your conception is bit erroneous in as much as you did not notice the impact of our changing social life due to evolution.  Why our parents did not face such situation in their lives?  How they could carry on their conjugal life peacefully years after years and even for 50-60 years continuously? As a son of your family you could have noticed that sometimes quarrel between husband and wife went to the peak and they stopped talking with each other for couple of days but after that they again became nearer to each other and started sharing their woes and pleasure. In present days boys are thinking marriage is a fun, Girls due to their so called educational back ground are thinking that Husband s are not boss to order only they are like friends to share everything with us i.e., they are under some ego.. Many parents of the girls are indulging the wrongs of their daughters due to blind affection and so on..

1 Like

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     22 May 2014

Women had a raw deal in the society.  Till ten years back, they had no inheritency rights in parental property.  In the marriage, they have to pay hefty dowry to get married (forget DP Act, it is known for its violation than implementation).  they have to leave parental home and old age parents to start afresh in alien atmosphere in matrimonial home along with husband's family.  In the name of culture, all these things are forced on the women.  In achieving economic empowerment, women started to go out of their homes for jobs, but, the domestic chores have not left her.  After the gruelling day jobs, they have to trudge to home to clean, wash and cook the food.  Responsibilities are not equally shared.  When to protect the women, a slew of laws have been enacted, there is a big cacophony of misusing of the laws.  The patriarchial system wants to repel all the beneficial provisions of law, S.498-A, DV Act and make divorce laws flexible.  As long as there will be raw deal with women, who comprises 50 per cent of population, there will be upheaval in matrimonial system.

But marriage system will  not wither away.  Because, it has been evolved in human evolution from philandery.  In the yore, there was free s*x and people were unaware of single man-woman relationship.  With advancement of human society, the society came to know the preciousness of such relationship, which provides healthy life, physical and mental comfirtability.

Live-in-relationships are aberrations of human traits and are reserved for a few of them.  The matrimonial system survives and stabilises when the system shreds its cultural ethos and stops to deal with the women in rotten manner and men and women share equal rights and responsibilities.  The system is travelling in that direction.

Tajobsindia (Senior Partner )     23 May 2014

@ Cinderella,

I think this entire debate is asinine. It is like saying one woman's divorce now becoming her inspiration to create marriage less perfect society
J

I mean what's wrong with today's Indian women's empowerment standards, why airbrush it just because you are not able to cope-up and move-on after divorce!

In live-in relationship there is no iota of commitment between partners whereas commitment in a marriage is like walking with three feets and it means price you pay to get the prize you want.

Thus I have a serious crush on your such asinine LCI Forum postings.

Advice:
Submit yourself to one who says "I will take care of you." (PERIOD)

{Last take}

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     24 May 2014

there may be hardly any civilization without marriage in any continent. 

N.K.Assumi (Advocate)     07 June 2014

It is a privilege to read the comments of all the experts. But going by the way the marriage institution is going on in the Country and the commercialization of this institution, from which US alone flows some billions every year  on maintenance etc; the institution has failed, and may be we go back to the Platonic stage. This is why I have always maintained "better to drink every day a new brand of milk from the market, in spite of keeping one cow at home and endure all the pains and suffering in this beautiful planet"

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register