LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sunita (proprietor)     04 September 2010

Rectification deed

I booked at flat in Dec 2008 at Thane. We have already paid the stamp duty and registration of the flat.  We were to get possession of the flat by Dec 2009.  It was a big project which was to be completed in 2 phases.  Till now they had suspended all construction work because of some issues regarding their investors.  We even visited their site and found that there is very little progress.

When we contacted the builders they said that currently they will not be working on the building in which we had booked our flat.  They could not give a proper time frame as to when they would commence work on the same. 

When we asked for a refund they suggested an alternative, which was to transfer to another flat in another building within the same complex which is currently undergoing construction.  As we had already done the stamp duty and registration of our allotted flat they said that all we need to do is execute a rectification deed for this new flat.  They said that there would be no need to redo the stamp duty and registration of the new flat.

My query is whether this rectification deed will be legally binding without the stamp duty and registration.  Also, if this new flat was already registered to someone else how will I know?  Even if I am told that there is no other owner and years later someone shows up with the original agreement of that flat, then what?

If there are any other legal problems that may arise kindly let me know.

Finally, as per law, should I enter into this rectification deed with the builder?

Learning

5 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     05 September 2010

Recetification deed should be regd.,

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     05 September 2010

to SUNITA :

1.  Since you are already put in a confusing and uncertain state by the builder,  It would be against your financial interest to again fall for the builders trap.

2.  Issue a legal notice to the builder for performance of the sale agreement and ask for refund of money along with interest and damages.

3.  File a consumer court case against the builder and get the money back from the builder and forget the builder and look for other near-complete projects.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal

1 Like

sunita (proprietor)     07 September 2010

Thank you to Rajeev and Hemant for your response.  Although I would love to file a case and sue the builders for damages, practically speaking, it would be a long and tiring process. 

As per their offer to transfer to another flat, we went to find out about the status of their recommended flat.  We found that the construction of the said building was at the roofing stage and they promised that the entire building work would be completed and possession would be handed over by Dec 2010. 

My only concern is whether it is legal to amend the building name / flat no. from D11/320 to A3/308 in the rectification deed.  The flat A3/308 is in the same complex as our registered flat D11/320.  The measurements of both the flats are also the same. 

Kindly help me decide if this rectification deed is the way forward or should I go for re-registration and stamp duty for the new flat.

Thanks.

M K Sahu (Officer)     24 September 2011

Hi Ms Sunita,

I am also facing similar problem with my booked flat. Kindly let me know, whether you went for rectification deed? Is it legal. I want to know what did you proceed exactly. I am also in confused state.If possible give me your email id or contact no. so that i can consult you.

Thanks in advance.

Mahesh

sunita (proprietor)     25 September 2011

Hi Mahesh,

I wish I could offer you some positive feedback.  Unfortunately, I myself was not convinced that this would be best solution.  Therefore, we have decided to wait a little while longer before we proceed along those lines.  The only  consolation, in our case, is that we have heard that they have commenced construction again.  I still haven't made a site visit to ascertain that fact.  But I am hoping.

Thanks for writing in and good luck.

Sunita

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More