LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Michele   16 January 2018

Conversion certificate problem with immigration

Hello, my name is Michele and I am hoping for some help... I am in Canada (caadian citizen) and my husband is in India (indian citizen). I have been in the process of sponsoring him since march 2017 for him to settle in Canada with me. On december 19 2017, we were suppose to get married according to the special marriage act of 1954 in mumbai, maharashtra. However, my flight was delayed followed by misunderstandings with the lawyer arranging for the proper documentation (he thought I was hindu but I was christian at the time). So on December 20 2017, I converted to hinduism by meeting with a hindu priest in Mumbai. From this I obtained an affidavit stating the priest had converted me and that my new name was ''Michele'' (I kept the same original name for legal purposes). On december 29 2017, my husband and I went to the same temple and we got married in the presence of his family and friends. The next day we registered the marriage and obtained our marriage certificate shortly after. Following the spousal interview with Immigration Canada, they asked for proof of my conversion to Hinudism. We sent them the affidavit. Two weeks later they wanted a specific certificate of conversion. My husband started contacting numerous lawyers in Mumbai who said there is no such thing. Even the municipal registrar office where our marriage was registered said there is no such thing. My question is that has anyone ever heard of such a thing and is it applicable to maharastra? If so, how do I obtain the certificate? Any help will be of immense appreciation...

Learning

4 Replies

Michele   17 January 2018

what should I do with this link.. I am a little confused

Michele   17 January 2018

Thank you for the link. However after searching this seems to be simply for publishing in news paper. I am needing a certificate. Maybe I misunderstood?

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     17 January 2018

File RTI Application to collector and seek information from him about the laid down procedure.  If there is no laid down procedure, he will confirm it in writing, and you can fiel that letter direct to embassy and can convince them.   Search website of the collector of your district to locate Public Information officer, format of application and paste Rs.10/- Adhesive court fee and seek single sentence information as follows:

Information solicited:

1)Please provide the procedure, and competent authority that can issue a bonafide certificate confirming conversion from Christian religion to Hindu that is acceptabel to Canadian Embassy.

Vijay Raj Mahajan (Advocate)     17 January 2018

The Hindu Conversion Certificate or Shudhikaran Certificate is issued by the Arya Samaj Temple which do the complete ceremony of conversion, register the conversion ceremony details of the person being converted and issue the Conversion Certificate. That certificate can be further got notarized and used for the registration of Hindu Marriage as well Immigration purposes in the High Commission.

I must have got number of such done for my clients in Delhi and various Embassies and High Commissions accepted those as valid proof of Hindu conversion. If the lawyers in Mumbai unable to help you in the whole process that shows the capabilities/inefficiency nothing more to say.

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register