LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     23 January 2009

cOMPANIES ACT

If a director has resigned, intimation sent in writing to the company and ROC and their acknowledgement obtained, can he be held responsible form not filing filing balance sheets, P&L Account and Annual Report and prosecuted under secs.220(3) and 161 of Companies Act? The Articles of Association of the company is silent about acceptance of resignation. Case laws please?

Learning

2 Replies

Anup Kumar (business)     24 January 2009

In my view the concerned Director cannot be prosecuted if has tendered his resignation to Company and ROc and got acknowledgement.

Plz . See Case law:

T.Murari V. State (1976) 46 Com Cases, 613(Mad)

the learned judge said" I am of the view that even in the absence of a provision in respect of resignation under the Act or under the Articles of Association of the company, th resignation tendered by a director or managing director unequivocally in writing will take effect from the time when such resignation is tendered." To the same effec is S.S Lakshmana Pillai V.ROC

However, he is liable for all acts upto the date of resignation

IN Abdul Huq V Katpadi Industries Ltd. AIR 1960 Mad 482, 483, after referring to various books on this subject, RAMASWAMI, J. concluded as follows"The net result of this analysis is that a director , who has submitted his resignation, will be deemed to have resigned from the date of resignation, without prejudice, of course to his liabilities and obligations which had occured up to that date and which he cannot evade by severing his connection with the company"

best regards,

Anup

Anil Agrawal (Retired)     12 February 2009

I am grateful for the advice and quoting the judgements, which I hope, are still valid and not overturned.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register