LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rahul goel   06 August 2020

Cinema hall land use

I have a single screen cinema hall in Uttar Pradesh where I want to start some other commercial activity. My query is - 1. Is there any law which says that Cinema hall land cannot be used for any other purpose except running cinema hall? 2. If my cinema hall was opened even before independence then will it be covered under that law? 3. Where can i find the relevant papers proving or showing the above 2 points? regards

Learning

9 Replies

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     07 August 2020

No need for any permission / licence to close existing cinema hall and start any other commercial activity as screening cinema is itself a commercial activity.

Local laws apply on question no 3, therefore it would be advisatble to consult a local lawyer.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     07 August 2020

Normally the land is classified according to usage 1.Agricultural. 2.Residential.  3.Industrial.  4.Commercial.   In many corporations the tax regulations state Cinema hall as broad category of commercial activity including petrol bunks etc.   For any new activity prior approval/sanctions are necessary.  So you may personally contact the concerned Town Planning officer or file RTI Application seeking for information on land usage.   Many cinema halls due to non viability were converted to huge shopping malls in several cities in South.   This is not a problem.  Once you decide and entrust this to a local architect, he may help you on a turnkey basis and you can focus on viability and finance.

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     07 August 2020

What is the nature of your ownership? Is it a leasehold right for a specific purpose? 

Is it mere possession?

or you hold a clear title?

If you are having a clear and marketable title, you can do whatever you wish to do within the rules and regulations of the local Municipal administration.If any permission is needed to demolish the existing structure, you need to apply for it and obtain the same. Naturally, for the construction of new structures, you need permission from the local administration. You need to comply with the same,

P. Venu (Advocate)     07 August 2020

Closing down the cinema hall requires no permission. You may surrender the licence/permission, if any, already taken for the purpose. As regards to the alternate use, the situation depends upon the said purpose and the local laws governing the same.

Rahul goel   07 August 2020

Dear Sir,

But the other cinema halls which have closed their operations recently are banned from any commercial activity. They have to open the cinema hall on that piece of land.

P. Venu (Advocate)     07 August 2020

May be this could be because of the reservation in the master plan. Please ascertain from the authority concerned.

Isaac Gabriel (Advocate)     07 August 2020

Consult the local body for further developments/improvements.

VISHAL   13 July 2023

Hey Rahul,

We are also planning something like that to our cinema hall near Agra(UP)..Hope u guys have reached out to some conclusion..

We are in touch with government oficials to understand the entire process..

Pls share your mailid/mobile no. here or seperately @   vishalch2001@rediffmail.com to take this discussion forward.

Aside lawyer community-:If interested then drop me a mail/number here or seperately.

Cinema Hall location -:Near Agra/Shikhobad ,UP

Rgds

1 Like

Kampachi Zarakhi   07 November 2023

I have a cinema ...closed for 4-5 years ....I also want to convert it in market or I want to do plotting there......but is there any rule or regulations that say .....we can only  build a cinema hall or a shopping mall with cinema hall mendatory in that mall.......pls help me ....if any suggestion or knowledge u have plz share

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register