LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Divya (CA)     21 June 2014

Change of name

Hi, I am living in Bangalore and  have son 3.5 years old. My in laws are insisting a name change of my son as to include a surname neither my father in law, my husband nor anyone else in their family carry. I am against the same. so, on pressure from my in laws, my husband is going around for the change of name.

My question is: 1. Can my son carry a surname neither carried by anyone in the family?

2. Can the name of the child be done without consent of the mother or is one parent's sign is enough for changing the name?

Please help, Thanks in advance.

Learning

6 Replies

Sunil S Nair (lawyer)     21 June 2014

No how can that happen it will create a lot of problem in future for your son, and being your child a minor your signed will be of importance  ,,,,,,,,,,,,,is this change of name /surname  related to Astrology

Divya (CA)     21 June 2014

No. Its just for the pride of my inlaws.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     21 June 2014

What is the reason that your husband and his father are so much anxious about adding an irrelevant surname behind your son's name? Are they having any sentimental reasons for that? The change of name of minor son/daughter can be made with the consent of the child's father because the father is the natural guardian of the child. What is the reason the you are against the said change in name?Do not allow this difference of opinion to develop between you both and solve the issues amicably so that the inevitable dispute in the future can be avoided.

RANTU LODH (panagarh)     23 June 2014

hi ,i am Rantu Lodh,i am a final year B.Tech student.I live in Buedwn,West Bengal. after class 12 i had changed my name through affidavit and also published the name change information on newspaper.But i still cant use my new name anywhere,because of my educational certificates belongs to my old name. i want to change my name on all the educational certificate. what should i do for this? here anyone can help me for this purpose?

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     23 June 2014

This is not a big issue, you may get your name changed by getting it published through government gazette notification, after which you can carry a copy of the gazette notification along with the certificates where ever you are required to produce them.

Sanjeev Chadha (not working)     23 June 2014

Hello Everyone,

Greetings!

I am Sanjeev Chadha from Delhi. I am facing a challenge in changing my date of birth on my passport.

My passport was issued in the year 1997 and got expired in 2007. I was not aware of the fact that i even have a passport. Now when i checked the passport it shows an incorrect Date of Birth.

Original DOB on 10th Mark sheet - 29/09/1977.

Incorrect  DOB on passport - 26/09/1975

I really need an advice on the same as i need a new passport.

looking forward to a reply soon.

Many thanks & Regards,

Sanjeev Chadha

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register