Criminal Trident Pack: IPC, CrPC and IEA by Sr. Adv. G.S Shukla and Adv. Raghav Arora
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ravi (System Analyst)     18 September 2009

Change of Child's name on Birth Certificate


I want to change the name of my child who is aged 20 months. Is the procedure to file an affidavit, newspaper advertisement etc required to be followed even though she is still not admitted in school and does not have her old name(which is on Birth Certificate) registered anywhere else e.g., Passport etc.

Please reply


 7 Replies


If the old name is on birth certificate, then you have to follow the procedure of paper publication etc., because, in some cases original birth certificate is required to be produced. 

manoj (advocate)     03 October 2009

every state has procedure for change of name in the register of the Registrar of Birth and Death.  There is a law viz., Change of Name Act also. 

Adinath@Avinash Patil (advocate)     14 October 2009

Approach to local muncipal corporation or concerning authority submit application regarding change in nae of child. they will guide you.

kamlesh (independent lawyer)     29 July 2010


in that case u'll have to change the name through Gazzet office. i dont know where r u from but if u r from gujarat then gazzette office is in Rajkot. other wise contact Birth and Death certificate registration office they will tell u where the gazzette office is situated for your place.

manoj (advocate)     31 July 2010

With great respect to the concern and reply I thank every one.  In the case of my son, the father's name was changed on the event of my ex-wife's remarraige.  This was done with the help of gazette notification without referring to the Hindu Adoptions & Maintenance Act 1956.  The said change is also adopted by the school and colleges and has gone into the educational records.  After approaching the said school / college a writ of mandamu and prohibition is being preferred in the Bomby High Court. Thank you all.

manoj pukale advocate


ABHINANDAN BHOSALE (..)     08 June 2011

My child is of two years. I want to change his name in BIRTH CERTFICATE ( IN MHARASHTRA).  Can I go to the state govt. press for the same? If yes, then is it possible to do correction in the municiple corporation record of birth certificate by showing the gazzette copy?

shirisha (business development)     09 March 2012


I have a baby boy aged 14 months.

We have named him as jagruth krish and we also got the birthcertificate.

Now we want to correct the spelling in his name as per numerology as Jagruth Krishh and we wanr to know the process.

We want to do this on immediate effect.




Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query