LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

balaji n   03 December 2017

Change in revenue records of immovable property

Can revenue records(patta, chitta) of a property can be changed through an unregistered will ?

A dies leaving behind some properties making a will(unregistered) in favour of B. Can B approach authorities for change in revenue records based on such unregistered will. Will just written on a piece of paper(not even a stamp paper) with 2 people witnessing it. 

Learning

4 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     03 December 2017

It is mandatory to probate the WILL in the area of Bombay, Calcutta, and Madras.

It is no mandatory to probate the WILL in other areas.   It is not mandatory to register the WILL.

The WILL should just be valid. Unregistered WILL can also be acted upon.

The authority under whose jurisdiction property falls has a set procedure for such matters if the WILL has surfaced; Testate Succession…….and the prescribed forms, procedure, process is available in O/o Authority and even on website.  

Certified copies of the WILL, death certificate, legal heir certificate/affidavit (per local procedure/precedence) are basic requirements.

The authority may ask for NOC from legal heirs (other than beneficiary) and/or to release newspaper advt and/or may write to legal heirs to submit their objections if any within set time.

Check locally and comply with procedure. If there is NO contest to the WILL by any legal heir then authority shall act upon the WILL without any cloud on it and transfer the ownership in the name of beneficiary.

Dear LCI Querist @ Mr. balaji n,

You seem to be having many matters on your hands...as it can be seen in many threads.

Would you like to post in one thread what exactly is the actual issue that you are facing.

It can avoid peacemeal infor and advise.

balaji n   05 December 2017

Many thanks for your response.

Some queries are related to my properties. Rest my friends, relations etc. Since they dont have access/not able to post the queries due to language(english) problem I post it in my id and inform them on the replies I get.

And can I have your mail id, if possible.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register