Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

CBI charges Uttarakhand HC judge with bribery

Police charge Indian high court judge with bribery

SOURCE - https://in.reuters.com/article/2011/03/04/india-corruption-judge-idINSGE72305J20110304

(Reuters) - Indian police charged a high court judge on Friday with taking a bribe of 1.5 million rupees ($333,333) in a rare move against a member of the higher judiciary.

A series of scandals involving government leaders, corporate figures and journalists has erupted in the past year, undermining investor confidence and raising doubt about the rule of law in one of the world's fastest growing economies.

The Central Bureau of Investigation filed charges against Uttarakhand high court judge Nirmal Yadav for taking a bribe to writing a favourable judgement, a spokeswoman said.

Yadav's case was termed as "cash-at-doorstep" case as the money was wrongly delivered to the home of a different judge with a similar name, local media said.

India's lower judiciary has

long faced allegations of graft, but action against senior judges has been rare.

Yadav's prosecution required approval from the chief justice of the Supreme Court and the decision reflected the willingness of the top court to confront flaws within, a lawyer said.

"Corruption has always been there in the judiciary. What this shows is that the judiciary under its new head is willing to act to deal with corruption within itself," Prashant Bhushan said.

On Thursday a three-judge bench of the Supreme Court led by Chief Justice S.H. Kapadia quashed the appointment of the country's anti-graft chief because he was himself facing allegations of graft in a nearly 20-year-old case.

The top court is pursuing other cases including monitoring a federal police investigation of a $39 billion telecoms licensing scam, in what is said to be independent India's biggest scandal.

Regulatory concerns in India, combined with the global economic slowdown, have hit foreign direct investment and contributed to making the Mumbai stock exchange the worst performing of the world's major share markets.

Learning

4 Replies

(Guest)

Those who have filed case i.e. CBI are not too innocent either.

CBI members are also involved in corruption. They make a settlement or share with the person who has been caught.

But these CBI members seems honest that they charged a case and brought that corrupt judge in public.

There are already over 20 lakh crore black money in SWISS bank & loot is going on.

I think this has been the praise of 90% Indians.

"LOOT INDIA LOOT".

Vishwa (translator)     10 March 2011

At the time of alleged events, the said judge was not in Uttarakhand HC but (if I remember correctly) in Punjab - not that Uttarakhand judges are not capable of such acts. However, how can such a person, with serious charges pending against her, sit in judgement over others? How can the litigants, lawyers and court officials be expected to have any respect towards such a person? At least she should have the decency to go on leave until the matter is settled one way or another.

Om Prakash Dhusia (HR assistant)     31 May 2012

Come on Mr. Ravi, don't treat : you scratch my back and I will scratch yours. No doubt every Indian is corrupt one way or the other but we only look forward to the cases of Icons. Did you ever not paid any bribe to a office peon, clerk or the administrative officer dealing with your file in any government office? Did you not bribe T.T.E for reservation out of turn or the booking clerk at the window or any tout? Please don't just blame the judiciary. If thy is Indian then he is bound to be corrupt because that is ingraine into our genes. Sorry being harsh.

At least CBI the henpick of the rulers had the stamina to file a case against a Judge which for me is like a music but let us not be too optimistic and wait till the finalisation otherwise who knows the whole of the Supreme Court will come to Judge's rescue.

False cases are the norm in India but that is never looked upon by the Apex Court if not any CJM is picked up by police no matter on the pretext of drunkenness. If you remember I am talking about CJM vs. Gujarat.

Regards

Om Prakash Dhusia (HR assistant)     31 May 2012

Come on Mr. Ravi, don't treat : you scratch my back and I will scratch yours. No doubt every Indian is corrupt one way or the other but we only look forward to the cases of Icons. Did you ever not paid any bribe to a office peon, clerk or the administrative officer dealing with your file in any government office? Did you not bribe T.T.E for reservation out of turn or the booking clerk at the window or any tout? Please don't just blame the judiciary. If thy is Indian then he is bound to be corrupt because that is ingraine into our genes. Sorry being harsh.

At least CBI the henpick of the rulers had the stamina to file a case against a Judge which for me is like a music but let us not be too optimistic and wait till the finalisation otherwise who knows the whole of the Supreme Court will come to Judge's rescue.

False cases are the norm in India but that is never looked upon by the Apex Court if not any CJM is picked up by police no matter on the pretext of drunkenness. If you remember I am talking about CJM vs. Gujarat.

Regards

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register