LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Pam (partner)     22 July 2010

bike accident


My friend has sold his bike in Sep 2005 to one Mr Koli throgh some Auto Broker, who has not issued any receipt and did not submit the Form 29 to RTO. now the bike has met with an accident. the pedestrain has suffered injuries to his back bone.

Mr koli expired in Apr 2010. before that in 2008 he sold it someone else. but his son is not disclosing the persons name. 

Now can we catch hold of the broker or the son of the person to whom my friend has sold.

what would be my friends liability and how can we safeguard ouselves.

please help thank you




 2 Replies

prsmitra (advocate)     23 July 2010

as long as vehicle was not transfered to other party in the RTO , your friend is to be treated as a owner.  But policy covers liability.  Insurance Company is liable to pay compensation to other party.

valentine (Advocate)     23 July 2010

The MV Act requires that any transfer should be intimated within 15 days(30 days?) to the registering authority. Till the time ownership in the register of RTO is not transferred original registered owner becomes liable or his insurance Co. In case of no coverage, the thumb rule for liability is "registered owner".

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register