LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vishwas Jape (Freelance Advisor)     15 October 2014

Bail application u/s 138 at dist court

JMFC , TRIAL COURT HELD ME AS ACCUSED & DICLARE IMPRISONMENT AS WELL FINE . LAWYER FORWARDED BELL APPLICATION & PAASED . NOW I HAVE APPEAL MADE AT DISRICT COURT . LAWYER STATES AGAIN BELL APPLICATION IS NEEDED , AS WELL COURT MAY ASK TO DEPOSIT CERTAIN AMMOUNT . I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHETHER BAIL GRANT BY DIST. COURT IS A FORMALITY , SINCE U/S 138 IS BAIABLE . FURTHER WHETHER & IF  DEPOST CERTAIN AMMOUNT, , I CAN GET SOME PERIOD TO DEPOSIT  , SAY TWO WEEKS . MATTER MOST URGENT , PLEASE 

THANKS & WARM WISHES , 

Learning

3 Replies

Nadeem Qureshi (Advocate/ nadeemqureshi1@gmail.com)     15 October 2014

Dear Querist

As per section 437 A of Cr.P.C it is mandatory.

“437A. Bail to require accused to appear before next appellate Court. — (1) Before conclusion of the trial and before disposal of the appeal, the Court trying the offence or the Appellate Court, as the case may be, shall require the accused to execute bail bonds with sureties, to appear before the higher Court as and when such Court issues notice in respect of any appeal or petition filed against the judgment of the respective Court and such bail bonds shall be in force for six months. 

(2) If such accused fails to appear, the bond stand forfeited and the procedure under section 446 shall apply.”. 

Vishwas Jape (Freelance Advisor)     15 October 2014

THANKS DEAR SIR , 

I HAVE JUST TAKEN BAIL AT TRIAL COURT ABOUT  15 DAYS BEFORE , AND MADE APPEAL TO  HIGHER COURT , WHY AGAIN THE BAIL IS REQUIRED AT DIST COURT , WHEN  YOU STATE THAT  , U/S 473 BAIL BOND IS VALID FOR SIX MONTHS ? PLEASE LET ME KNOW 

THANKS 

Ashok, Advocate (Lawyer at Delhi)     17 October 2014

The appellate court has to be requested for grant of bail pending appeal. Section 437A Cr.P.C. protection is only for a limited period to allow you to meanwhile obtain bail from the appellate court.

Secondly, the fact that an offence is bailable is relevant during the trial stage or the investigation stage since till that time the guilt of the accused is not proved. But, once the conviction is recorded, considerations for grant of bail are different. During appeal stage, the provision for applying for bail would be Section 389 Cr.P.C. [and not Section 436 Cr.P.C. for a bailable offence].

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register