Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Rahul Patil   18 December 2023

Application of section 25 of hma in divorce petition under section 13(1)(ia) of hindu marriage act

Dear Sir/Madam,

I am seeking guidance regarding legal matters from the perspective of the wife. Before initiating any inquiries, I would like to provide a brief background on the existing case.

Currently, a Domestic Violence (DV) case is in progress. The court has awarded a modest interim maintenance amount. The case is now at the evidence stage. An appeal has been filed by the wife to increase the interim maintenance under the DV Act in a higher court. The husband has filed a petition under Section 9 of the Hindu Marriage Act (HMA), and in response, the wife has recently filed under Section 24.

I am in need of advice on several points before filing a Divorce Petition.

• 1) From the wife's perspective, in a divorce petition under Section 13(1)(ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act, Is it common to request permanent maintenance under Section 25 along with the divorce case? Should these requests be made in the same case, or is it typical to file separate cases for divorce and for permanent maintenance under Section 25?

• 2) If a divorce petition is filed under Section 13(1)(ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act, and it only requests a divorce without any financial considerations, can a separate application for permanent maintenance under Section 25 of the HMA be filed during the trial of the divorce case?

• 3) Similarly, if the divorce petition under Section 13(1)(ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act,  and it only requests a divorce without any financial considerations, Is it possible to file a separate application for permanent maintenance under Section 25 of the HMA after the divorce is granted by the court?

• 4) Is it regular and normal to file only a divorce petition under Section 13(1)(ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act, seeking solely the dissolution of marriage without any prayer for alimony or final maintenance?

Thank you for your assistance in these matters.

Learning

7 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     19 December 2023

1. Any court that has jurisdiction under this act shall on an application made by either by the wife or the husband for grant of maintenance,  order the non applicant to pay for the maintenance and support of the applicant, either a yearly or monthly sum for a term not exceeding the life of the applicant. 

2. Yes.

Sanskriti Tiwari   19 December 2023

In a divorce petition, under Section 13(1)(ia) of the Hindu Marriage Act, the wife can indeed request permanent maintenance under Section 25. It's common to combine these requests in the same divorce case to streamline legal proceedings and address all relevant issues simultaneously.

It's not uncommon to file a divorce petition solely seeking dissolution of marriage without explicitly including requests for alimony or final maintenance. However, addressing financial matters concurrently generally helps ensure comprehensive resolution within the divorce proceedings. The case of "Savitri Pandey vs. Prem Chandra Pandey" highlight the court's discretion to grant maintenance in divorce cases, considering factors like income, assets, standard of living, and other circumstances of the parties involved.

If the divorce petition solely seeks divorce without financial considerations, a separate application for permanent maintenance can be filed during the trial of the divorce case. It's crucial to note that financial considerations can be addressed at different stages of the divorce proceedings, but once the divorce is granted by the court, filing a separate application becomes complex. If financial matters weren't addressed earlier, the possibility of pursuing a claim for maintenance post-divorce is limited.

P. Venu (Advocate)     19 December 2023

Yes, a separate application for maitenance could be filed. So also, grant of maintainance under any other is no constraint in seeking maintainance under the HMA, together with the divorce petition or separately.

@Ms. Sanskriti Tiwari -

The case of "Savitri Pandey vs. Prem Chandra Pandey" does not highlight the court's discretion to grant maintenance in divorce cases, considering factors like income, assets, standard of living, and other circumstances of the parties involved. The Judgment of the Supreme Court is attached for your perusal.

Please note that AI generated information could be incorrect in many respects, esp. as to Judgments given in citation.

Attached File : 38535 20231219164256 savjtri pandey vs prem chandra pandey.pdf downloaded: 46 times

Sir it's not AI generated. Along with these replies, I always send a screenshot depicting 'human text' along with a plagiarism report to my mentors, otherwise my answers are not acceptable. My answers are long because as per the instructions, I had to reply in 200-300 words and I write answers like arguments because I have interest in mooting and drafting memorials and this is my first experience in advising, which started a few days ago.

Actually, I have read this case in 4th Trimester (2nd year), in family law, while we were taught HMA. The case deals with section 27, which I mistook with section 25. Thanks for correcting me sir. This is my learning phase, I'm still a student and not an expert like you, I'll be careful from next time, please pardon me sir.

P. Venu (Advocate)     19 December 2023

I am at a loss of words to appreciate your willingness to learn from mistakes. In law, there are no experts, everyone is a lifelong student. And mistakes, once accepted, provides the best lessons.

1 Like

Thank you sir😊

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     23 December 2023

Thanks dear experts for throwing light on the subject while clarifying and confirming the reasons for the opinions in this regard 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register