LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Samuel (Self)     07 October 2013

Airtel threat for disputed payment

I have been using the Airtel broadband connection in Bangalore since May 2012. In the month of March, 2013 I shifted my house to a different locality and called the Airtel customer care to transfer the Airtel Broadband connection to my new home. The executive told me that they will do the feasibility check at my new home and move the connection. However, after two days they informed me that there is no port available for new connection at my new location. So I told them to disconnect the service.

After this I went out of station and when I came back they still kept on sending me bills. This continued for two months. And once again I called their customer care and told them that I had already put in the request for cancellation two months back. And this time they disconnected it but asked me to pay for the two months. I told them that I have not been using the connection since the first time I asked them to disconnect the service. I told them to check the broadband usage and they agreed that there is no usage during the last two months.

Come  June-August 2013, I started getting several calls again for the payment of two months i.e Rs ~2733.81 Once again I had to explained them my case from day one and finally  after writing several emails to 121@in.airtel.in I got an email from Ujjal Bora, airtel presence (airtel customer service team) asking me to pay Rs. 557.47. I choose not to pay as I had never use their connection and this is confirmed by Airtel customer service by checking my usage during the disputed period.

Now, today 5th Oct 2013 I got a call from a lady name Tripthi claiming to be a lawyer from Delhi and asking me to pay the money instantly or she will go ahead and issue a summon. Even after my consistently asking why Delhi court and not in Bangalore court as my connection was in Bangalore she refused to answer me. I ask the case number and details regarding the case she again didn’t provide me any specifics. She even refuse to send me SMS related to case saying she is not authorize to send SMS! All she kept saying is pay the money or you will be ask to appear before Delhi court.

I explored online for similar issue and found lot of people getting such calls from Airtel claiming to be lawyer from Delhi Court. One such instance is here https://annkur.com/2012/05/audio-the-police-officer-on-behalf-of-airtel-fir-threats-etc/. Here this person even recorded the conversation with so called lawyer and police officer.

Learning

2 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     07 October 2013

These calls are by collection/recovery agents. You would have noted it from thread suggested by you, also;

ehttps://annkur.com/2012/05/audio-the-police-officer-on-behalf-of-airtel-fir-threats-etc/

There are visitors those who have suggested that Airtel co operated confirmed it was some DSA.

However Airtel is responsible for its DSA and must inform in writing by letter (preferably thru redg. post) that it has handed over the matter to DSA and mention full address of DSA.

The Telecom companies/Internet service providers claim that as per form filled at time of issuance of connection the jurisdiction of courts is stated in the form ( copy of form should be kept by customer) or redg. office of the company is at …………………say Delhi and company shall file for recovery?proeedings under Section7B................... at Delhi.

Customer should always issue instructions to company in writing under acknowledgment.

The guidelines are issued by TRAI.

TRAI has issued guidelines that all offices of the company including Point of Sales should accept written complaints/instructions of customers and issue complaint/transaction id/request number on the spot.

The bills should be generated on pro rated basis till the date of disconnection and security should be adjusted in bill on the spot.

You may go thru TRAI website.

You may also record the calls……………..ask the calling person to speak his/her phone number from which he/she has called……………full designation……………...name of company (decline to accept on behalf of Airtel)……………….ask to speak it is collection/recovery agency and name of agency……………………..full address…………………name/designation/phone number/address of Airtel official to which this agency reports…………………….

If you fell that some one is impersonating as Court staff/Police staff/ Airtel staff lodge a complaint at nearest police station and visit nearest Airtel RO (regional Office) with crowd of well wishers, submit a written complaint (under acknowledgment and with complaint number) and demand reply in writing by redg. post  and along with ownership detail of phone numbers of callers and other details as discussed.

Take local police staff to RO of Airtel and approach media, NGO’s etc………………

One such consumer help has advertised on the bottom of this web page too:

Desicouture-Complaints.Akosha.com

There are many others e.g:

www.grahakseva.com/

https://ashisha.com/consumer/

pehredar@network18online.com

https://www.facebook.com/Pehredar

https://www.mouthshut.com/

Tame and shame such offenders at all forums.

Lodge a complaint with TRAI and demand final bill thru redg. post.

Airtel amongst other telecom companies is one that is littering nuisance. You shall find all judgments/decisions of dist/state/national forum at:

Confonet

confonet.nic.in/

Customer should unite at local locality, mohalla, village, city, community levels and crowd of united customers can drill sense into the heads.

Another vigilant customer has initiated following thread at LCI and you shall find lot of relevant and useful info there.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Can-we-file-a-case-in-Consumer-froum-against-mobile-company-33211.asp#.UlJvddKAqWM

Attached File : 132251324 broadband quality of service regulations bb 26-10.pdf, 132251324 faq.doc, 132251324 trai consumer protection guidelines.doc downloaded: 173 times

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     10 October 2013

if you are holding the letter for cancellation first time you made keep it with you

because the so called lawyer is noting but a recovery agent who calls the payment holder who does not pay even for the fault of airtel employees and harass and frietening us for the same some persons will in worry pays the amount and some will take initiative 

1 ask them particulars of there office address and tell them that your lawyer will send the notice to them

2, dont agree with them and stress them to send the summons 

3. nearly some hundreds call persons will harass the customers by saying that there from delhi court and if you do not pay they will go furthur 

4. if they harass again then issue a strong letter to the airtel legal cell a notice copy to trai 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register