LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
The Indian Constitution Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

raj123 (business)     26 November 2009

Advice needed on giving surety to friend in a dowry case !

My friend as applied for bail(dowry and harassment case). He is asking help from myself and my brother to give surety to him. I'm working in a S/W company and my brother is Govt. employee. Is there any problem in future for us if we both give surety for my friend ? Advice Need ! Please Help !


 9 Replies


If he is your friend and is not likely to abscond from trial you should not have any problem in standing surety to your friend.  Even if he absconds from trial, you would be liable to forefit the amount for which you stood as surety.

dhiraj choudhary (n/a)     26 November 2009

noramally an adv. should not stand as surety but when a person is  in such a situation as told by u then he should stand as surety for his frend but this is purely my personal opinion



Neither he nor his brother is an advocate.



During bail period if he absconds you are liable. If postive goes it is OK.

Poonam Upadhyay pathak (Advocate)     26 November 2009

Mr. Raj123, if he  his ur friend and u know during the trial of the case he is not likely to abscond then there is no problem  in standing surety.

Hardik Mehta (Family Counsellor)     27 November 2009


Since he is your friend and this is the 498a case, so there should not be any worry. You should stand for the surety for him. The court will not tie you if he absconds, you may have to then release your surety by putting the alternative bail bond in place of surety. Generally the matter is settled earlier and so dont worry. Go ahead and give surety.

sunil pagare (lawyer)     27 November 2009

It is your liablity to secure  their presence in the court, if they abscond your liable to deposit the amount for which you stood as surety. court have power to reduce the surety amount .

K. Rajendra Prakash (Advocate)     30 November 2009

A friend in need is a friend indeed.


At the first instance,when your friend absconds from facing the trial,The court would issue NBW AGAINST THE ACCUSED(YOUR FRIEND.) That if the police is unable to secure your friend under NBW, Then  a surety Notice would be issued to you.  Therefore if your ARE confident that your friend is not a person to abscond from facing the trial then do not hesitate to stand as a surety.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query