Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

ALLU (OFFICER)     29 May 2014

Wife name changing :consequences

Hi,

I Need to change my Wife surname to my surname "YALLAPRAGADA"

When I applied to marraige certificate also , they mentioned BEFORE and AFTER marriage Names of my wife(with my surname)...(it is done)

1)I am applying the PASSPORT for my wife with my surname....

............and changing every ID(PAN CARD,ELECTION CARD) of her to my surname .

Will you please advise me advantages and disadvantages by this proecdure ?

Eg : Does this procedure(Name changing) effects her EDUCATION/CAREER?

Regards,

Alluraiah Yallapragada

Learning

4 Replies

malipeddi jaggarao (retired banker)     30 May 2014

Advantages:  You are following the tradition that wife's surname should be that of husband's after marriage.  You will not face the questions from your children about different surnames of their parents. Moreover both of you feel united after marriage.

Disadvntages:  As you are planning to change all the documents, there are no disadvantages.  However, if you do not change the surname in her education certificates, sometimes, she may face problem at the time of certificate verification.  You can overcome this problem by producing marriage certificate. 

Wish both of you all the best!

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     30 May 2014

normally after marriage in our hindu tradition wife surname of her father will be changed to husband family surname and where ever it is requied you can give a formal letter stating the marriage details if you do not have marriage certificate and change accordingly and if you have marriage certificate the procedure will be same enclosing the marriage certificate

and about disadvantages i dont know any thing

Solomon Raju (Advocate High Court of A.P.)     30 May 2014

No need to change her name in Educational Certificates. As understood, I think you are from Andhra Pradesh. First you shall approach Government Printing Press in Chanchalguda, Hyderabad and get proper application from District Collectorate or if you do not have obtained the application then you can secure such application from Government Printing Press. You shall pay requisite fee and mention the reason for change of name. Later submit that application and her name gets changed and it will be printed in Government Gazette and a copy will be sent to your address. Keep the GO along with you and change her name in all documents but regarding changing in educational certificates is risky...

Adv k . mahesh (advocate)     31 May 2014

he wants to change only surname not her name 

for example Ms. Swathi xxxx  is her original name and after her marriage with Mr. yyyyy Anand means automatically wife name and her surname will change to Ms. yyyyy Swathi and were ever she wants to change a formal letter and if she carries marriage certificate is okay and

Ms. Swathi wants to change her name to Ms. Anushkha then the above procedure is applicable 

and about educational certificates in our legal system once after marriage there is no such clause that wife should change all her educational certificates with her husband surname 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register