Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

We cannot delete our Indiatimes Account

https://mywriterkeeda.wordpress.com

I wanted to get rid of my Indiatimes account since it was of no real use to me. Lots of spam only. However, I was really surprised to find that there is no option to delete your own account. I mailed them about this and I got this terse one line reply that they are sorry to inform me that as per the terms and conditions the account will be terminated if I don’t use it for 3 months. Now this should have ended it. But my concern was more than that. Here is the excerpt from Indiatimes Terms of Use

Termination of Account

TIL reserves its right to refuse service, restrict, suspend,terminate your account; (Terminate this Agreement; Terminate or suspend your access to the TIL’s Web Sites; Refuse, move or remove for any reason any Content / Image that you submit on or through the Services; Refuse, move, or remove any Content / Image that is available on or through the Services; Deactivate or delete your accounts and all related information and files in your account; Establish general practices and limits concerning use of the Services) at any time and, remove or edit contents or cancel orders (entered by you) in its sole discretion with or without cause, and with or without any prior notice for any violation of the Terms of Use. Upon such termination or suspension, your right to use the TIL’s Web Sites will immediately cease.

You can also terminate your account at any time but your information may remain stored in archive on our servers even after the deletion or the termination of your account. “

AND THIS

Usage policy of Indiatimes Mail

“If the user does not access/log in into his mailbox at least once in three months (90 days) period, then the user account will be terminated and the user will no longer have access to the same. The users are subject to all other terms and conditions as listed in https://info.indiatimes.com/terms/tou.html , terms of use. “

Can any email provider have this clause that you cannot delete your own account?

What is the guarantee that Indiatimes will delete my account and not keep it active in their servers to show inflated figures for users (to charge more from adverts)?

So the only way I can get rid of the account (believing that they will delete my account) is by not using it? I am sorry. But I have got way more spam from Indiatimes to believe them.

Facebook had to bow down to people power after protests over changes to its user agreement. In this case we are talking about a media behemoth who is everywhere. Who will tame the giant?

I am not sure. But I smell something fishy here. If there is an option to delete the account - please let me know.

Learning

1 Replies

Ishan Goel (Advocate)     18 April 2009

i was also shocked to see some of the things coming up recently, like when my mails had gone up more than 2500 mails they deleted all the mails from my inbox also the ones which i have bookmarked as V. Imp. also once i was going through the options of changing name of the gmail account, there was no option to be found, the only thing you could do is change the password of the account.

i mean to say here that we should have freedom to do whatever in the accounts that we are having with these mail sites....

but while i was thinking on the legal point of view of what could be the possible advantages of such things, then i came across of recent happenings like a person sending mails to the govt of india warning of possible threats, it was also b'coz of such feature that the user was neither able to delete the account nor able to change the name of the account that we were able to grab such person.

yes, i know there are many intelligent people in this world who have came up with the ways to flout such security but on the contrary think, if such measures wouldnt have been taken up, would that be possible to grab the cyber offenders.......!

in my above discussion, i have complained indiatimes of deleting all my mails and even the ones that i have bookmarked. i want to know the legal reason from them for this. if there is anyone among us, who can explain me, you have all my ears........

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More