Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Swwapnil (CEO)     29 September 2014

Tax implications for partners in case of closure of firm

Hello All,
I had started a partnership firm in 1987. Along with my partner we purchased a 5000 sq feet plot to setup our factory. The plot was purchased in the name of the firm. The 7/12 extract mentions the name as "Firm's Name (XYZ Industries) represented by partners - Partner 1 & Partner 2".
The partnership deed is unregistered. Within 5 years of starting the firm ceased operations and for all practical reasons does not exist today at all.
There's no statutory registrations in the firms name at all. Not even PAN.

Now both the partners would like to distribute this 5000 sq feet of land. It is valued at INR 1 Cr now.

What are the tax implications after such distribution? Someone told us that if we dissolve and distribute this land, we will have to pay capital gain tax, since it it will be considered deemed conveyance from firm's name to individual partners names?

Is this the only way out to distribute? Is there a way wherein there are no tax implications since according to us practically there's no transaction involved?

All we would like to somehow get the plot in personal names of the partners without any tax implications? is there a way out?

Learning

1 Replies

Kappil Cchandna (Expert Bail & Criminal Defence Lawyer at Delhi Supreme Court of India)     06 October 2014

Dear,

Please contact me at 9899011450... to discuss the same.....

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More