Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Dipankar Mukherjee   05 July 2017

Standered rent

Hi Sir/Madam,

I want to know the standard rent of any residential property in Chennai.
I have been staying in Chennai since last 3 years. Every time I search for a rented house, the owner asks for a huge rent along with a huge deposit. They also ask for water charge and maintenance outside the rent. Apart from that they put so many conditions for staying. Even despite having a separate electric meter they charge rs 6/unit where first 100 units are free from the government. Please help me with the standard rent and the standard terms and conditions.

Regards,
Dipankar

Learning

4 Replies

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     05 July 2017

If you are already staying in rented house either paying a huge rent or paying the standard rent and the owner asks for an increase you can claim for standard rent. But if you are looking for a house and find a vacant house the owner can refuse you to rent the house. You cannot claim that you shall occupy the house. So the question of standard rent or higher rent does not arise.

You are probably talking of a flat in a building. The building will have an association to maintain the common areas of the building. The association will charge for services like sweeping, security, common electricity etc.. These charges have to be paid by the actual occupant of the flat. Even you may engage a person  to sweep the floor in your flat. You have only to pay his or her salary and not the land-lord. Even you have to pay for your own electricity consumption.

Dipankar Mukherjee   05 July 2017

Actually I asked if there is any standard rent amount and deposit amount to be followed by the house owner, may be according to the location, sq ft or property value, or they can ask anything they wish. Mainteinance is accepted but what if they charge for EB where the first 100 units are free.

Dr. MPS RAMANI Ph.D.[Tech.] (Scientist/Engineer)     06 July 2017

Things like standard rent were there during old marxist days. I don't think they are there any more. If for instance the land-lord leaves his house vacant, the Income-tax Department would assess the income from the house property on the basis of market rent and not on standard rent, if such a thing is available. Maintenance would be charged by the Association and not by the house owner. It is for the common electricity. As for the electricity for the house itself, the actual bill amount is recovered from the tenant or the tenant is asked to pay directly to the Electricity Board. The Electricity Board also takes deposit from the consumers

Dipankar Mukherjee   06 July 2017

I got it, Thank you so much for the information.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More