Name spelling correction for child in birth certificate

I want to do name correction in my Daughter's birth certificate. She was born on Feb2013 and I got her birth certificate on March2013 on an urgency since I have to move out of country.


But Now I want to do some correction in her name spelling based on numerology and get the birth certificate updated with that correct spelling.  This is just correction of spelling in the name and not the entire name change. 


Her name was registered in Tiruchi Corporation.


Note: I dont have any other document such as passport registered with her name . The only document i got for her as of now is birth certificate. 


Can someone help with the completed procedure and the documents to be prepared to do this correction. 


Once entered the name in birth certificate, you can not change the name . But you can change the name through gazzette.

It is the correct legal process. 


Hi Sumathy Thanks for your response. But I saw the below response from one user. He is telling that we can do name change in birth certificate. Is this procedure still available? I am not sure what you mean by name change through gazzette. 


"We need to approach the local muncipal office and submit a name correction application. We need to have two gazetted officers signatures and need to mention the incorrect name and the correct name you want to have on the birth certificate in the area provided on the application form.  Apart from this I think we need to produce a Rs 20 Notary document for the name change. That's it in 2 or 3 weeks time we will get the new birth certificate."




Ashok, I think you have been misguided by someone with wrong procedures for change of name in the birth certificate.  I still believe that Advocate Sumathy is right  in informing you that a name registered in the birth register cannot be changed and the only way is to go for gazette publication or through news paper publication.  Please confirm.



My Daughter is in the process of getting passport. She is 21 years. Her School certificates having father name in Short cut ( only Half of the name only is getting displayed) in turn, Passport authorities asking for a Birth Certificate with corrected father's name. father's full name is A. Anantha Padmanaban and in Daughter's Birth certificate &  school certificate, it is mentioned  as A.A.Padmanaban. We have seen Adv. Sumathy and Adv. Kalaselvan above comments to some other issue.

Will the same is applicable to our Problem. Government is not issuing  the amendment in the Birth Certificate. We would like to have a permanent solution.


Hi. Should we get the application form for changing name in gazette in person only? If we download the form from internet and submit it will it be valid?

Hi, I too have a mistake in my birth certificate. One of my friend suggested me to approach Notary public. Will it get ok by notary public?? And will it be valid??


Hi, I too have a mistake in my birth certificate. One of my friend suggested me to approach Notary public. Will it get ok by notary public?? And will it be valid??


My daughter born at march 4th 2015

I have applied and get new birth certificate from tamilnadu

municipality kancheepuram.

My daughter birth certificate Residency address 

entered wrongly from goverment municipality office

can you please guide me how to correct this.


My name is L.Jenila but in my birth certificate it is written as Jeniba and my father and mother name is also having some spelling mistakes as my father name is Labi Labence but it is entered as Labence and my mother name is Theresa it is entered as Therasal and my birth date is 28-04-1992 but it is entered as 29-04-1992.But all my school certificates and aadhar card i have my details correctly.Now i have to apply for passport but my birth certificate is the only problem. I have born in Kanyakumari but at present i am in Chennai. To whom i have to approach to rectify this errors and what are the procedure to change those mistakes.How long it will take to clear this problem and how much it will cost to clear those mistakes.




Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  


Search Forum:


  LAWyersclubindia Menu