Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Anoop K (Marketing Mgr)     24 July 2012

My friends and i have been duped!

Friends / Lawyers / Legal Consultants,

My 30 odd friends and me have a serious problem, and would like to know what legal course should be adopted.

A person by name Mr.X, started an investment business where he would collect money from "investors", and would invest these into Futures & Options in the stock markets. He also had a website, which is currently down. The investment philosophy was that he would entitle us to a share of profit or loss in an equal sharing basis. Meaning, if at the end of the month, there is a profit of Rs. 1000, it is shared between Mr. X & me, on a 50-50 basis. Also, that if there is a loss, it would be borne in the same fashion. However, if you would not withdraw your money, the profit would be added to your principle and the next months profits were to be proportioned accordingly.

Mr. X only worked on the basis of referrals, and would take money only from people who were referred to him by his "existing clients". While I did not know Mr.X, I was introduced to him by Mr. Y. He would send us a monthly performance report, which talks about the net current value of our investments. I initially invested in 2009, and was not in need of my money until spetember 2011. Back in September, when I called him, he told me that he as taken aggressive positions in the market and would not be able to return my money immediately. However, he requested for 2 months and that time was provided to him.

Back in January 2012, I got to know that the others too had such issues with him and that when I met Mr. X, he told me that all the money has been lost, and that he does not have any property / money to make good my money. However, I asked him to take more time (about 6 months) and then return my money, in utmost good faith. It's been 6 months now and he has not been responding to calls / e-mails, etc.

I contacted Mr. Y, who had earlier introduced me to Mr. X for this business and Mr. Y also tells me that he has a few lakhs invested with him, and that he has not got his money either. Mr. Y is also willing to take a legal route against  him.

On behalf of my 30 odd friends, I'm posting this to know the following:

1. What legal action can be taken againt this guy?

2. What should be the procedure to expedite a legal case against him?

3. Should all of us file 1 case against him, or should it be individual cases?

4. Should the case be a Civil case as a recovery suite, or should it be a criminal case?

Please advise.

Learning

7 Replies

Adv Rohit Dalmia 9324538481 (Lawyer)     24 July 2012

Dear Anoop,

First let us know Have you executed any agreement with him?????

Second, did he gave you any receipt stating that he would return back the money alongwith profits, if any or shall adjust the loss, if any?

Third, you have given him money by cash / cheque / Bank Transfer / DD????

You need to provide the documentary evidence / email communication about the transaction executed with him. So that proper legal opinion could be provided.

You may call on 9324538481 for legal assistance.

Regards,

Advocate Rohit Dalmia

Adv.R.P.Chugh (Advocate/Legal Consultant (rpchughadvocatesupremecourt@hotmail.com))     24 July 2012

1. File a summary civil suit for recovery.

2. But since it's very tough to get money out in civil processes, and the dishonest/fraudulent intention of this man is writ large on the face of facts, you can all file FIRs against him for cheating and criminal breach of trust. In fact in frauds of such proportions you can seek inquiry and file FIR in the Economic Offences Wing of your state, best equipped to deal with such frauds. If the police refuses to co-operate file 156(3) before magistrate for directions of registration of FIR + proper investigation. 

Anoop K (Marketing Mgr)     24 July 2012

Rohit Sir / Bharat Sir,

Thank you for your inputs. Definetely great help. Just for the purpose of more clarity:

1. I have not executed any agreeement for the investment. There is also no reciept for this investment.

2. The conditions of repayment with profits / adjustment of losses was spoken of on his website. However, the site is currently down, but I have print outs of every page of his website.

3. Money was transferred to his personal Bank Account. A few of them have also transferred money to his mother's bank account, on his instruction. Such deposits were reflected on the excel sheet that he attached on his e-mails.

4. I do have the e-mail communications sent by him confirming the profitability of the venture.

A few more questions:

1. He has now disconnected his cell phone, and my vices say that he has probably escaped. Is there a way to nab him?

2. Can we have him arrested under any provisions of the law? All of us are planning to have the media involved so that the family is put to shame. An arrest for even a night would help.

3. Since many of us had hinted on filing a police complaint, do you think he already has an "Anticipatory Bail" to avoid an arrest? Should he have one such bail, how long is it valid? What possible workarounds do we have?

Adv. Rohit sir: I'm based out of Bangalore and so are most of others. Will definetely call you once I discuss this with my other comrades.

Thanks again!

v.b.b.sastry (Sr.A.P.P)     24 July 2012

The bank records prove that you paid the money to him.He has committed an offenceU/S 420 IPC.LOdge FIR against him.You have not lodged any complaint with the police  and are talking about AB.First file first information and then talk of AB.

Nitish Banka (lawyer)     24 July 2012

The acts of the Mr X such as his website is down and his cell phone is disconnected will also help you to proove your concern.Plus Emails and transaction information are also relevant.

Anoop K (Marketing Mgr)     25 July 2012

Shastry Sir / Nitish Sir..... Thank you for your inputs and support. Your input's really helps. I will be discussing this with my friends and take this forward.

Thanks again for your inputs and support!

Rahul Chakraborty. (final yr student.)     26 July 2012

1st an fir stating the facts is to be lodged as cheating,forgery,making a false document,and lastly forgery for the purpose of cheating.

2.based on the compalint hearing u will claim ur money or file an application for attachment of the said person property to recover ur money.

3.u could file a joint petition stating the facts of the case,bt generally all ppl would not move to it,bt can give power to one to stand 4 all.

4.criminal case as the practice is ill legal ab-initio.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More