LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Linda Cantrell   23 June 2015

Internationl divorce

Three years from now i met my husband in an international conference in washington soon after we decided to get marry and i was supposed to adopt hindu culture and we get married in amritsar in india and after that we shifted to fairfax. I'm not an indian and today we are on the verge to get divorced ans so he left me and shifted to india permanently i have filled a divorce from international divorce lawyer Centreville, VA and he is not anwering the notice now what to do?

Learning

3 Replies

Adv. Chandrasekhar (Advocate)     23 June 2015

You can get ex-parte divorce in that foreign court, if he wilfully refuses to attend the court.

SuperNuvos (Own)     03 July 2015

Linda,

As advised by other experts in this thread,

1. Send the notice to both the US and India address (if known)

2. Also check if you can send the notice through email at this corporate email id (if any)

3. If you do not get a reply, court may allow you to advertise the notice in daily newspapers in India.

4. If he still doesn't respond, you can get ex-partee divorce minus alimony.

Samir N (General Queries) (Business)     03 July 2015

As you know, or as your advocate/attorney in the U.S. ought to know, marriage and divorce are state subjects in the U.S. and laws are state-specific and can vary widely.  Therefore, if and how you can get divorce in the U.S., for a marriage which took place in India, will be based upon the laws prevailing in the applicable state in the U.S. Any advice given in the absence of knowledge of these laws and/or the jurisdictional venue would be half-baked. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register