LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sibsankar Datta (Freelance)     11 January 2013

Heir ship right on the property of a deceased

My Uncle having no Class I heir died intestate on 25/09/2012, leaving behind a property (A Flat in a residential Building) in Kolkata, purchased by him during 2007.

The aforesaid uncle was the youngest of their three brothers and two sisters. My deceased father was the eldest among their brothers and as on date the only living brother is my first uncle. All other brothers and sisters passed away long back.

My aforesaid deceased uncle was a bachelor and thus had no Class I heir.  Among the Class II heirs the following are living:

1)      The deceased uncles only living elder brother aged app. 85 years.

2)      We two sons and one daughter of the deceased uncle’s eldest brother (Our father )

3)      4 nephews and two nieces of the deceased elder sisters of my deceased uncle are living.

Request kind guidance on heir ship right on the property of the deceased uncle as mentioned.

In case the sole heir ship right goes in favour of my deceased uncle’s only living elder brother, who is our only living uncle, can sell out the property right away to a purchaser without obtaining his title on the property documents or mutation in the municipal records, on the strength of his heir ship right declared by him by way of an Affidavit sworn by him?

Please let us have your kind advice/ clarification.

Learning

1 Replies

Kumar Doab (FIN)     11 January 2013

Class II relations 

• Father
  • Brother/Sister
  • Son’s daughter’s son/daughter,
  • Daughter’s son’s son/daughter
  • Daughter’s daughter’s son/daughter
  • Sibling son/daughter
  • Father’s Parents
  • Brother’s widow
  • Father’s sibling
  • Mother’s parents
  • Mother’s sibling

As per basics

Legal Heir amongst Class II are:

•  Brother/Sister
  • Sibling son/daughter

Divide equally between two brothers and two sisters.

Living Brother gets 1/4th.

Your Father’s 1/4th to be divided between you: 2 brothers’ 1 sister {1/3rd to each}.

Likewise 1/4th of rest of each of 2 sisters to be shared equally by their son’s and daughters.

Since you have apprehensions that your living uncle may play foul it shall be better to consult a lawyer well versed with such matters and raise and stake your claim

Valuable advice of learned experts/members is sought.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More