Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Torch bearer (Educational & Financial Consultant)     06 September 2012

Gratuity refused by employer

Respected Experts,

I worked in a recognised school in Delhi for 10+ years but have been denied the benefit of Gratuity by saying that it is not payable on resignation but on retirement.  I approached the Zonal Department of Education,  representing my case and to seek their intervention but nothing fruitful was done since long finally I sought the information by giving application under RTI in response to that I communicated that "CCS rules will be applicable in respect of gratuity entitlement. " 

Now the scenerio is that I left the job in July 2005 and response of RTI application was received somewhere in August 2009/2010.  I could not pursue the matter with employer with the abovementioned response of RTI application for some unavoidable circumstances.  But it is clear that they are not interested to give me the gratuity.  I seek guidance how can I restart with this case, shall I request again to the employer with the communication of Department of Education vide response to RTI or shall go for legal proceedings? If legal proceedings are required where should I approach and I hope it is not late to claim for the denied benefit.

Eagerly waiting for expert advice.

regards

Learning

4 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     07 September 2012

You may move to labour court

what about your PF has the school depsited the same.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     07 September 2012

Kindly revert on PF as adviced by Mr. Sudhir Kumar.

It is felt that your employer has given a foolish reply that too thru RTI and shall have to bang his head now.

Did you submit FormI to employer under acknowledgment? Do you have the copy of FormI { or any other form as applicable at that time}.If yes submit the fresh photocopy with copy of RTI reply to Controlling Authority of gratuity at your location which may be ALC.

Valuable advice of learned experts/members is sought.

Teachers were included in definition of employee by amending the definition of employee in sec 2{e} of THE PAYMENT OF GRATUITY ACT, 1972.

The Government has made the amendment with retrospective effect from April 3, 1997.

Section: 4
Payment of gratuity.

(1) Gratuity shall be payable to an employee on the termination of his employment after he has rendered continuous service for not less than five years, -

(a) on his superannuation, or

(b) on his retirement or resignation, or

(c) on his death or disablement due to accident or disease:

Section: 7
Determination of the amount of gratuity.

(2) As soon as gratuity becomes payable, the employer shall, whether an application referred to in sub-section (1) has been made or not, determine the amount of gratuity and give notice in writing to the person to whom the gratuity is payable and also to the controlling authority specifying the amount gratuity so determined.

(3A) If the amount of gratuity payable under sub-section (3) is not paid by the employer within the period specified in sub-section (3), the employer shall pay, from the date on which the gratuity becomes payable to the date on which it is paid, simple interest at such rate, not exceeding the rate notified by the Central Government from time to time for repayment of long-term deposits, as that Government may, by notification specify:

Torch bearer (Educational & Financial Consultant)     08 September 2012

Thank you all for your kind guidance.

Yes, employer deposited PF amount and I have taken the withdrawal of PF amount leaving the portion gone to pension fund as my service was above 10 years.

About Form1, As there was no practice of guiding the employees on their benifits on resignation hence no form was filled ever.  However, after full & final clearance when I wrote about gratuity attaching some relevant rules from 'School Manual' then it was replied by the School Principal that "I am not eligible as I have resigned not retired"

Basically, it is will and wish of the management to give the gratuity to persons resigning.... like lala's business...

Kumar Doab (FIN)     08 September 2012

Produce photcopy of the form I or whatever applicable at the time of last day in office. Delay  be justified.

Did employer deposit gratuity with controlling authority??????

Your letter for gratuity, rules from school manual, reply of principle, RTI reply recived in 2009/10 should help.

Even a Lala has to pay gratuity.

Even big companies can and they do behave like or even worse than Lala.

Why should a lala or corporate which does not want to pay Gratuity educate an employee?

The dispute is raised by employer.Employer should have deposited the amount with controlling authoritry.

Section: 7
Determination of the amount of gratuity.

(4)

(a) If there is any dispute as to the amount of gratuity payable to an employee under this Act or as to the admissibility of any claim of, or in relation to, an employee for payment of gratuity, or as to the person entitled to receive the gratuity, the employer shall deposit with the controlling authority such amount as he admits to be payable by him as gratuity.

(b) Where there is a dispute with regard to any matter or matters specified in clause (a), the employer or employee or any other person raising the dispute may make an application to the controlling authority for deciding the dispute.]

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register