Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Miharika (n/a)     13 October 2007

Entitlement of Employee who suddenly resigned

Please help.
I am a Director in a small Pvt Ltd Co. ( 5 employees total).  One of our employees who was with us for the last 10 years, suddenly resigned without reason and wanted to be relieved immediately.  We relieved him as per his request and paid him his full salary for the month even though 10 days were remaining. 
In his resignation letter he demanded ""gratuity/compensation"" for all his years of service.  Our Company is not liable under Payment of Gratuities Act, nor even under Bonus Act or PF, although as a matter of practice we make provision for, and do pay one months salary in the guise of bonus, around Diwali each year. 
We informed our ex employee that the question of paying any gratuity does not arise, but that in view of his years of service we may consider paying some sort of ex gratia amount.  He reverted with a claim statement based on Gratuity calculations, whereas we intend to give him around a months salary total plus last years ""bonus"" as ex gratia full and final settlement. 
My question is, can he initiate any legal proceedings to claim any further amount  and if so what kind of proceedings? 
Is he  legally entitled to anything under any provision of law, bearing in mind that he voluntarily resigned without giving any notice and in fact caused us considerable inconvenience by his sudden resignation?  In our reply to his resignation letter, we have mentioned this.
Thanks. Miharika

Learning

5 Replies

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     13 October 2007

Both the Payment of Bonus Act and Payment of Gratuity Act would not apply in your case as the number of employees are less than the minimum requirement of 10 prescribed in the respective acts.

Miharika (n/a)     14 October 2007

Thank you.  I know that we are not liable u/ PG Act or Bonus Act.  I just want to know if an ex employee who voluntarily resigned in such circumstances, can make any claim under any other law?   We are willing to pay him a reasonable ex gratia sum.  Is he legally entitled to anything else?  I ask because although we have been reasonable with him, he keeps calling us every few days to ask what amount we have decided to pay him - the tone is slightly intimidatory.  Thanks and regards. Miharika.

Prakash Yedhula (Lawyer)     14 October 2007

You are not liable to pay any amount in the absence of any statutory or contractual entitlement. Hence whatever you pay him it is just a bonus for him. Even if he files any case, he can be easily non-suited.

Miharika (n/a)     15 October 2007

Thank you for your prompt response and reassuring advice.  I appreciate your efforts on this site which is of real assistance to ordinary people like me.  Kind regards. Miharika

Guest (n/a)     20 May 2008

this is a nice effort to assist in legal complications to general public. best wishes to you all

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Recent Topics

View More