The Department of Fisheries is one of the two Departments under the Ministry of Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying. It came into existence with effect from 05.02.2019 through carving out Fishery Division from the erstwhile Department of Animal Husbandry.
The Department is under the overall charge of Cabinet Minister and assisted by two Ministers of State for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry & Dairying. It has four Divisions namely, Inland Fisheries, Marine Fisheries, International Cooperation, Cash Section, Administration and Statistics Divisions.
The Department is responsible for matters relating to formulation of policy and schemes relating to Development of Inland , Marine and Coastal Fisheries and Fishery Institutes namely Fishery Survey of India Mumbai, Central Institute of Fisheries Nautical and Engineering Training (CIFNET), Kerala, Central Institute of Coastal Engineering For Fishery (CICEF), Bangalore, National Institute of Fisheries Post Harvest Technology and Training,(NIFPHATT), Kochi, National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB), Hyderabad, Coastal Aquaculture Authority, Chennai.
CORE FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT OF FISHERIES
- Development of fish feed and fish products industry with regard to the formulation of the demand and fixation of targets.
- Promotion and development of Fishing and Fisheries (inland, marine and beyond territorial waters) and its associated activities, including infrastructure development, Marketing, Exports, and institutional arrangements, etc.
- Welfare of Fishermen and other Fisher-folk and strengthening of their livelihoods.
- Liaison and cooperation with international organizations in matters relating to fisheries development.
- Fisheries Statistics.
- Matters relating to loss of fish stock due to natural calamities.
- Regulation of fish stock importation, Quarantine and Certification.
- Fishery Survey of India, Mumbai.
- Legislation with regard to the Prevention of the extension from one State to another of infectious or contagious diseases or pests affecting fish.
- Legislation with regard to Pattern of financial assistance to various State Undertakings, Fisheries Development Schemes through State agencies/Co-operative Unions.
DOCUMENTS IN PUBLIC DOMAIN:
State Fisheries Profile, Budget, Reports, Annual Reports (2017-18),Guidelines, Handbook on Fisheries Statistics (2014 & 2018),Monthly Summary(Aug 2020),Report to the People, Farmers’ Manual and Guidelines for Fisheries and Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund (FIDF) and Acts & Rules.
CHALLENGES BEFORE THE MINISTRY
- Lack of Compressive policy to secure the life and livelihood of Fishermen.
- Combat against Natural Calamities affecting the fishing industry.
- Marking of sea borders and islands and prevent involuntary crossing of sea borders by fishermen into neighborhood waters.
- Absence of a specific Statute to Regulate, Control and guide the Fisheries industry.
- Absence of a Regulated Marketing framework weeding out involvement of Brokers and Agents.
- Safety, Security and Livelihood of Fishermen under an organized employment.
- Realistic Insurance Assessment of Fishing Stock and Implements including Boats and Ships.
- Curb unauthorised fishing on Seas, Oceans, Ponds, tanks, reservoirs.
- Single and uniform Real-time updation of Catch Assessment Survey data optimizing and leveraging the latest technology resources.
- Strengthening of Database and Geographical Information System (GIS) of the Fisheries Sector and Fisheries Statistics.
- Focus on increase in productivity in Inland Fisheries optimizing deep sea fishing potential using farm upgradtion and automation technology using Artificial Intelligence/ Internet on Things, Instrumentation, sensors, underwater telemetry and Cyber-physical systems.
- Development of a robust logistics support by increasing cold storage facilities available to fishing industry.
- Set up a National Level Fisheries University to engage in professional studies and R & D to explore the potential of the Fishing Industry.
- Arrange for alternative source of employment for fishermen like Boat/Ship Building, Manufacture of fishing implements, etc during off-seasons and natural calamities.
- Identify all avenues for waste management emanated from the fishing industry.