LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

A United States visa is a passport-like document that allows you to travel to the United States for an extended period.

There are several different reasons a person will be granted a visa. People from certain countries will have to have a visa if they come to the United States for vacation. There are visas granted to people who are married to American citizens and those granted to students. If you want to get a job in the United States, you will have to get a work visa.

An EB-2 visa is granted to workers who have a unique skill set that will benefit an American employer. There are three sub-categories under the EB-2 visa. Before you begin the application process, you should know what subcategory you fit into.

EB-2 A Visa - Advanced Degree

If a job recruiter contacts you because you have a certain kind of degree, you will fill out this visa form. In most cases, you will need the foreign equivalent of a master's degree or Ph.D. However, you can also apply for this kind of visa if you have a bachelor's degree plus five years of working experience.

EB-2 B Visa- Exceptional Ability

If you have a degree and extensive experience in art, business, or science, you could qualify for this type of visa.

EB-2 C Visa- National Interest Waiver

There is only one way that you can enter the country on an EB-2 visa without employer sponsorship. If you can prove that your working in the United States will be a benefit to the country, you may apply for an EB-2 visa on your own.

You will have to have three of the following requirements to receive a national interest waiver.

  • 10 years of work experience
  • Professional license
  • Very high salary
  • Peer recognition
  • Membership in a professional association

3 Step Process

When a person wants to obtain an EB-2 A or B visa, they must follow a three-step process along with the company that wants to hire them. It is important to have the assistance of an immigration attorney when you go through these steps. Try to find a lawyer who will give you a no-obligation review.

Find an Employer to Sponsor You

The first thing you will have to do is find an employer in your field who is looking to hire foreign workers. They will apply for labor certification through the United States Department of Labor. They will use the Program's Electronic Management Review System.

Have the Employer Fill Out the Application

Your potential employer will then fill out an I-140 form. The company must prove that they have tried to fill the job using a United States worker and that they could not find anyone.

The application will have to be reviewed and approved. This can take over six months.


Applicants who are not yet in the United States will have to undergo an interview before entering the country. You will have to have a medical exam before this interview and you may need proof of certain vaccinations. The interview will take place at the United States embassy in your country of origin.

They will ask many of the same questions as they did in written form. The officer you talk to will compare your answers to those on your paperwork to make sure that you have been honest.

America is a country whose culture and natural resources are like no other. Once you are here you can do great things. Just make sure to take the proper steps.

"Loved reading this piece by Yaksh Sharma?
Join LAWyersClubIndia's network for daily News Updates, Judgment Summaries, Articles, Forum Threads, Online Law Courses, and MUCH MORE!!"

Tags :

Category Others, Other Articles by - Yaksh Sharma