Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Which wife is legal?

Page no : 2

Renuka Gupta ( Gender Researcher )     19 October 2010

Truth has unpredictable  ways to emerge....and one never knows how what turn the relationship takes at which moment. So it is a very misleading advice from Kushal to brush the matter under the carpet.  It does not pay in the long run S_A. unless you get a divorce from your first legally wedded wife. Your wife also cannot remain with a clean conscience if she gets married , which is the foundation of a happy married life, . without getting the divorce. And what if she feels a legitimate sense of hurt and betrayal! 

Arup (UNEMPLOYED)     19 October 2010

YOU SOLEMONISED / PERFORMED TWO MARRIAGES

1)  marriage [in 2004 - IT IS FIRST MARRIAGE. TO DISSOLVE THIS MARRIAGE, A ORDER FROM THE COMPETENT COURT REQUIRED. IN ABSENCE OF IT THIS WILL BE CONTINUING AS A VALID MARRIAGE.

2)  marriage in 2008 - IT IS SECOND MARRIAGE, IN ABSENCE OF DIVORCE THROUGH A COURT OF YOUR FIRST MARRIAGE, THIS SECOND MARRIAGE IS VOID IN THE EYES OF LAW.

2 Like

sudipalipurd (None)     19 October 2010

Dear Everyone,

My question is that -

1) is my registry marriage still have a value as we didn't divorced, just canceled it. 

2) is it possible for my  second wife [Social Marriage] to creates any problem, if me and my registered wife stay together now?

3) if she creates any problem, what is the legal procedure then?

NOW IF YOU IGNORE THE FIRST WIFE,  SHE MAY COMPLAIN AGANIST YOU UNDER SEC 494.

IF YOU IGNORE SECOND WIFE, SHE MAY COMPLAIN SOME OTHER SECTIONS. SHE AND HER CHILD IS ALSO ENTITLED FOR MAINTAINANCE. THOUGH HIS MARRIAGE IS VOID.

2 Like

1) is my registry marriage still have a value as we didn't divorced, just canceled it.

- YES IT IS VALID.

- "just canceled it." -  YOU CAN NOT CANCEL A MARRIAGE. YOU MAY PRAY FOR DIVORCE. IT IS UPON THE COURT WHETHER IT WILL SANCTION OR NOT.

2 Like

khushal chilbule (asst. manager)     19 October 2010

For judicious advice the information provided by Mr. Sudip is insufficient. Till I was under impression that first wife is also ready to get separated. It is also not known if she is aware of the sudip's 2nd marriage or not? it is end of 2010 now. Since 2008 there is no objections from first wife as I understand. But still fact remains if Second wife is unaware of the first marriage then her legal right can not be taken away.

2) is it possible for my  second wife [Social Marriage] to creates any problem, if me and my registered wife stay together now?

- SHE MAY COMPLAIN UNDER IPC ...

HER COMPLAIN SHOULD BE ... HE MARRIED ME KEEPING ME IGNORENT ABOUT HIS FIRST MARRIAGE.... 

2 Like

What if she made a false statement [My 2nd wife]? coz bfore the marriage i told her about my registry marriage and my girlfriend.

what should i do if she make a complaint against me under IPC. 

can any law or court force me to stay with her, if i'm not willing to live with her?

my lawyer said that my registry marriage is not valid now as we canceled it. is that true. i'm confused. plz help.

3) if she creates any problem, what is the legal procedure then?

- SHE WILL GET MAINTENANCE ETC AND A BAD CASE YOU WILL FACE.

WHEN SUCH TIME COMES COME HERE AGAIN. TRY TO MAKE HER HAPPY ALSO, BUT THIS WILL PUT YOUR FIRST IN TENSION.

1 Like

can any law or court force me to stay with her, if i'm not willing to live with her?

- NO.

BUT 2ND IS ENTITLED FOR MAINTENANCE.

AND IF SHE WANTS THE CASE WILL BE GOING ON. ANOTHER POSSIBILITY IS THERE SHE MAY PRAY FOR RESTITUTION OF CONJUGAL RIGHTS, WHICH MAY POSSIBLE TO ORDER.

2 Like

What if she made a false statement [My 2nd wife]? coz bfore the marriage i told her about my registry marriage and my girlfriend

- NOW IT IS USELESS. SHE WILL LIE AT THIS POINT.

1 Like

my lawyer said that my registry marriage is not valid now as we canceled it. is that true. i'm confused. plz help.

NOW CHECK WHETHER YOUR FIRST MARRIAGE REGISTERED PROPERLY OR NOT.SOMETIMES PEOPLE SERVE NOTICE THEREAFTER FORGET ABOUT THE NEXT STAGES. IF IT IS SO THEN YOUR FIRST MARRIAGE NOT COMPLETED IN 2004.

UNDER THIS SITUATION YOUR MARRIAGE ON 2008 IS FIRST MARRIAGE.

2 Like

(Guest)

You asked But still fact remains if Second wife is unaware of the first marriage then her legal right can not be taken away. ???

Right taken away or not ; if you read this then you are  happy or not its depend upon you.You conceal the fact make a fraud and now escaping from liability.But This judgement and facts favoring you.

This is judgement regarding   woman not lawfully married under the expression "wife”. thus wife(Savitaben ) was denied maintenance.

The Supreme Court noted that Section 125 of the CrPC provides for maintenance of an illegitimate child but does not include a woman not lawfully married.

Strict proof about a valid marriage is not the sine qua non for getting maintenance under Section 125 of the Code.

In response, learned counsel for respondent No.2 submitted that law is fairly well settled regarding the definition of the expression 'wife' and there is no scope for giving an extended meaning to include a woman who is not legally married.

But as the position in law stands presently there is no escape from the conclusion that the expression 'wife' as per Section 125 of the Code refers to only legally married wife.

The judgment declared that the scope  of  Section  125  of  the  CrPC  could  not  be  enlarged  to  include  a  woman  not lawfully married under the expression "wife". Savitaben was thus denied maintenance.

It observed that this is an inadequacy of the law and operates harshly against a woman who gets into a relationship with a man who suppresses the fact of an earlier marriage. But the court said this lacuna could only be cured by the legislature.

(Now husband conceal first marriage to wife can easily escape from liability? ) We all helpless.

Read this https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Woman-not-lawfully-married-No-maintenance-25950.asp 

1 Like

(Guest)

Hi , i might be speaking out of the crowd but is it also possible that the second wife can put up a case of bigamy against the husband in this case and will it affect that she has legal right to do that or not taking in concern that her marriage is not legally registered

What if me and my social wife sign on a 10 Rs. Stamp paper mentioning that "we are not responsible for each other and we are not going to hold each other or have any further liabilities to each other. and we also have not any objection if me/she lives separately." - is that will work as a Mutual  divorce or agreement? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register