Home > Experts > Constitutional Law > Sikh who has cut hair carrying kirpan

Sikh who has cut hair carrying kirpan (Constitutional Law)

Author : Arvind

Posted On 20 March 2017 at 15:11

Sir
I am given to understand that any person following the Sikh religion can carry a kirpan or sword as per their religious beliefs.
However when a sikh by birth cuts his hair short then can he or she carry a kirpan or sword as per law.

Please clarify.

Arvind

To activate Click to Talk, e-mail at lciconnect@lawyersclubindia.com 

Expert : P. S. DHINGRA: sssfi2016@gmail

Posted On 20 March 2017 at 16:58

Discuss your own problem, not any academic query. Also, any specific purpose for asking this question?

Expert : Sudhir Kumar

Posted On 20 March 2017 at 20:20

what is the problem.

Expert : Kumar Doab

Posted On 20 March 2017 at 20:29

By limited understanding:

It is for baptized Sikhs.

You may ask the priests of Sikh Religion.

Expert : Ms.Usha Kapoor

Posted On 21 March 2017 at 07:26

Agree with Mr.Kumar Doab.

Expert : Adv. Yogen Kakade

Posted On 21 March 2017 at 10:54

You shall discuss this with your religious gurus.

Author : Arvind

Posted On 21 March 2017 at 12:36

Firstly it is not any academic query secondly there is a problem as a man who has cut hair in my organisation carries a small kirapn and claims he is a sikh by religion giving him the right to carry it.

The organisation want to restrict this practice but not based on religion but legally.

So yes that is the problem. Also as I am not a sikh.

Hope you can guide me now.

Expert : Adv. Yogen Kakade

Posted On 22 March 2017 at 15:39

Do you want to know the rules under Arms Act?
Actually Kirpan is a holy weapon to be carried as a weapon of defense and not for offence.
Article 25 of the Indian Constitution deems the carrying of ‘kirpan’ to be included in the profession of the Sikh religion.
It is worn by all initiated Sikhs (Khalsa), after a mandatory religious commandment given by Guru Gobind Singh Ji. Carrying kirpan and having uncut hairs are the basic symbols of Khalsa.
As per my knowledge kirpan is a holy symbol, but to know more you can visit nearest Gurudwara and talk to the experts.

Expert : Kumar Doab

Posted On 22 March 2017 at 21:54

Thanks for agreeing Ushaji.

Expert : Kumar Doab

Posted On 22 March 2017 at 21:56

Dear LCI Author @ Arvind,

Remind me after 3 days.
I shall provide you with some links.

Right now I an busy these days.

Expert : Rajendra K Goyal

Posted On 24 March 2017 at 18:34

Please refer the matter to Religious Scholar to know the view on this issue.

Expert : Kumar Doab

Posted On 24 March 2017 at 20:24

During the baptism ceremony the initiate is instructed in the duties and obligations of becoming a Khalsa (one belonging to the Divine). The Khalsa is expected to live by the high moral standards of the Sikh Gurus at all times which includes such things as abstaining from smoking, drinking and other intoxicants, performing daily prayers and always maintaining the distinctive physical symbols of Sikhism on their person.

The most noticeable of these being uncut hair and carrying the Kirpan.
This injunction appears in the Rehat Maryada (The Official Sikh Code of Conduct); "Have, on your person, all the time, the five K's: The Keshas (unshorn hair), the Kirpan (sheathed sword), the Kachhehra (drawers like garment), the Kanga (comb), the Karha (steel bracelet)." (Rehat Maryada, Ceremony of Baptism or Initiation, Section 6, Chapter XIII, Article XXIV, paragraph (p))

Expert : Kumar Doab

Posted On 24 March 2017 at 20:32

You have posted that:

"I am given to understand that any person following the Sikh religion can carry a kirpan or sword as per their religious beliefs.
However when a sikh by birth cuts his hair short then can he or she carry a kirpan or sword as per law."

You may check with Managing Committee of nearest Gurudwara and Sikh Priests and Scholars..