Home > Experts > Legal Documents > Documents required when women applying for passport for first time after marriage

Documents required when women applying for passport for first time after marriage (Legal Documents)

Author : Tohta

Posted On 16 July 2013 at 15:49

My wife want to apply for the passport for the first time after our marriage.

1) All my wife's college certificates are having her father's surname(old maiden name).

2) Where as after marriage, we have got her name mentioned in Ration Card,Election Card ,Aadhaar Card and in all documents including our children birth certificates & children school records with NEW surname.

Hence there is only a change of surname.

I need guidance/clarification for the following:

1) As we are not having marriage certificate, I want my wife's Passport to be issued with NEW surname. Whether only Annexure D is sufficient ?

2) For date of birth, as her SSC board certificate is shown with her maiden name(old surname),whether same annexure D is sufficient?

Can any body please help.

regards,

C.R.THOTA

Expert : ajay sethi

Posted On 16 July 2013 at 16:14

passport office generally insists on marriage registration certificate . register marriage then apply for passport

Expert : Dr. Jyothi Vishwanath

Posted On 16 July 2013 at 16:14

Annexure D will be sufficient only for change of name in future.
For change of name in past records, either you have to file a civil suit or give a paper notification.
Filing civil suit will lead to the change of surname in the SSC certificate by the concerned board.
Paper advertisement will serve the purpose of getting passport.

Expert : Dr. Jyothi Vishwanath

Posted On 16 July 2013 at 16:15

Marriage registration is not necessary if you are producing Annexure D.

Author : Tohta

Posted On 16 July 2013 at 16:44

Respected Dr Jyothi Vishwanath,

As per your response,

I will submit my wife's fresh passport with new surname(my surname) and will show Annexure-D to passport authorities

1) when they see my wife's SSC/School certificates with OLD surname to check date of birth/place of birth.

2)Proof of address/proof of identity can be of no issue as already Election card/Aadhaar card/Ration card are available with NEW surname.

I do not want to change the name in past SSC/School certificates.Only the passport has to come with NEW surname.

Please comment & guide me.

Author : Tohta

Posted On 16 July 2013 at 17:06

Respected Ajay Sethi ji,

As my wife's name is already mentioned with NEW(my) surname in all Aadhar/Ration/Election cards and even my children Birth/school records, we may be queried by passport authorities only about SSC certificate having OLD/surname with respect to date of birth.

So here, we want to make use of Annexure-D instead of marriage certificate.

Please comment & guide me.

thanx.

Expert : Dr. Jyothi Vishwanath

Posted On 16 July 2013 at 17:06

For getting passport in the new surname without any change in the SSC certificate, you have to give paper advertisement.
That will serve the purpose of getting passport. No need of changing name in the SSC certificate.
If you take the help of any passport agent, he will do this easily for you. Normally they charge around Rs.5000 for this.

Expert : Rajendra K Goyal

Posted On 16 July 2013 at 18:11

The marriage certificate is required for issue of passport of married woman. Get it issued.

In the case of applicants born on or after 26.01.89, only Birth Certificate issued by the Municipal Authority or the Office of the Registrar of Births & Deaths is acceptable.

Author : Tohta

Posted On 16 July 2013 at 18:33

Dear Rajendra Sir ji,

The Passport instructions for issue of FRESH Passport has three categories like a) Minor change in name b) major change in name c)Change/addition in surname due to marriage.

Can you help me to know that which of the above category is applied to my wife.

The passport instructions says to submit either Marriage certificate OR Annexure-D for the category of (c).

Thanx in advance.

Expert : Rajendra K Goyal

Posted On 16 July 2013 at 20:36

Agree, For change in surname in the passport after marriage the instruction are as under

An attested copy of marriage certificate issued by Registrar of Marriage OR an affidavit from the husband and wife along with a joint photograph, (Specimen at Annexure D).

Expert : Dr. Jyothi Vishwanath

Posted On 16 July 2013 at 21:24

Yess. Thats what i am also saying. Annexure D affidavit is sufficient.

Author : Tohta

Posted On 17 July 2013 at 12:48

Respected Dr. Jyothi Vishwanath / Rajendra Goyal

Thanks for your help.

It means my wife will get the passport with new surname as GAJAM ANJALI just by simply submitting Annexure-D.

KONDA ANJALI (before marriage name)
GAJAM ANJALI (after marriage name)

regards.

Expert : Dr. Jyothi Vishwanath

Posted On 17 July 2013 at 16:47

Yes. You understood right.

Author : Tohta

Posted On 18 July 2013 at 13:03

thanx to all for help / guidance

Expert : raj kumar makkad

Posted On 19 July 2013 at 22:35

Obtain marriage certificate and get as desired.

Author : Tohta

Posted On 20 July 2013 at 10:57

Respected Makkad ji,

Other experts are advising me as Annexure-D only is enough instead of marriage certificate for a change in surname.

My wife's name in SSC certificate is
KONDA ANJALI (KONDA is a surname before marriage)

----------------------------------
After marriage, the name in Aadhar/Ration/Election/Bank passbook etc is like

GAJAM ANJALI (GAJAM is a surname after marriage)

regards,

Expert : Dr. Jyothi Vishwanath

Posted On 20 July 2013 at 17:25

Annexure D enough

Author : Tohta

Posted On 20 July 2013 at 17:30

Respected Dr. Jyothi Vishwanath,

Thank you very much for your help / guidance.

regards