Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Parsons Nash   10 May 2023

Youngest PhD and shortest thesis

Originally posted by : trap the cat

While his classmates struggled to solve a simple mathematical problem, Tathagat Avatar Tulsi would solve it in a jiffy. This child prodigy completed his high school when he was just nine years old. 

Continuing the trend, Tulsi completed a doctoral degree at 21 from the physics department, IISc. He has also applied for the `youngest doctorate (PhD) of India' and `shortest PhD thesis' in the Limca Book of Records. 

He joined IISc in 2002 when he was barely 15. Then he submitted his thesis on `Generalizations of the quantum search algorithm', which is just 33 pages long. 

"Despite the short length, the thesis is innovative enough to qualify as a PhD work. I was always interested in quantum computers and would like to develop software for it. Quantum computers will take us one step ahead in changing the world for the better," Tulsi told TOI. 

The thesis is based on his seven research publications in international scientific journals. 

Tulsi, who's from Patna, completed a BSc in Physics when he was 10 years old. He finished an MSc in Physics when he was 12 and became a Guinness World Record holder. Notably, he completed his degree and post-graduation courses with 68.5% and 70.5% respectively. 

"I never attended any coaching class. I depended on books. Also, I'm good in Mathematics and have a sharp memory. All these helped me," he revealed. 

He's also a recipient of national and international awards. He was listed among seven most gifted Asian youngsters by `Time' magazine. 

"I believe I have a gift. When I was young and while my friends were struggling to solve mathematical problems, I would solve those easily," Tulsi said. Perhaps, bagging the record for being the youngest PhD holder with the shortest thesis will be as easy for him.

I wish I could be as good as him.

Learning

1 Replies

Parsons Nash   10 May 2023

Originally posted by : trap the cat

While his classmates struggled to solve a simple mathematical problem, Tathagat Avatar Tulsi would solve it in a jiffy. This child prodigy completed his high school when he was just nine years old. 

Continuing the trend, Tulsi completed a doctoral degree at 21 from the physics department, IISc. He has also applied for the `youngest doctorate (PhD) of India' and `shortest PhD thesis' in the Limca Book of Records. 

He joined IISc in 2002 when he was barely 15. Then he submitted his thesis on `Generalizations of the quantum search algorithm', which is just 33 pages long. 

"Despite the short length, the thesis is innovative enough to qualify as a PhD work. I was always interested in quantum computers and would like to develop software for it. Quantum computers will take us one step ahead in changing the world for the better," Tulsi told TOI. 

The thesis is based on his seven research publications in international scientific journals. 

Tulsi, who's from Patna, completed a BSc in Physics when he was 10 years old. He finished an MSc in Physics when he was 12 and became a Guinness World Record holder. Notably, he completed his degree and post-graduation courses with 68.5% and 70.5% respectively. 

"I never attended any coaching class. I depended on books. Also, I'm good in Mathematics and have a sharp memory. All these helped me," he revealed. 

He's also a recipient of national and international awards. He was listed among seven most gifted Asian youngsters by `Time' magazine. 

"I believe I have a gift. When I was young and while my friends were struggling to solve mathematical problems, I would solve those easily," Tulsi said. Perhaps, bagging the record for being the youngest PhD holder with the shortest thesis will be as easy for him.

I wish I could be as good as him.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register