Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Ravinder Chahal (Manager)     23 June 2011

Wrong Practices by Landlord

Hi, 

I leased a very small residence in Jaipur,Rajasthan in october 2009 on a very high rentals of Rs 5500 Per month. Everything was going well for 6 months but suddenly i received an electricity bill of Rs 84000 for that onne room place. I immediately confirmed the same to landlord but he did not take it seriously and told me to handle the situation myself. I was new in that city so i could only drop and application at electricity department but the department told me that the application should come from landlord himself. From that time every month bill was more then 30000 rs which in any condition is impossible as i had the office job from 9AM-9PM. I continuosly keep telling to landlord about the same but he did not take any action and always forced me to get the bill done correct. Later on i also came to know the Electricity meter was for commercial usage and not for domestic usage (This thing the lanlord did not tell me earlier). There were many other problemsa as well like there was no water supply to the house for 3 month and landlord was sitting idle and not listening me at all. My lease then expired on September 2010, but the landlord did not provided me with new lease and i kept staying in house for next 4 months and finally i left the house in february 2011 after informing to the landlord and he did not even returned my security deposit. The electricity bill pending was showing Rs 35000 at the time i left that house. From that time Landlord is continuously Threatning me to pay the bill other wise he will take legal action. But my question is that , is it not the responsibility of landlord to take care of ammenities he is providing to tenant.  What is the procedure by which he can file a case against me and what will be the steps taken by me then.

Thanks

Regards

Ravi 

Learning

2 Replies

Ashok Yadav (Lawyer)     23 June 2011

reply of all issues is lying in your lease deed. The matter will be decided on the terms and conditions defined in your leased for the said premises. The land lord can ask you to pay the electrecity bill till the date you were residing in that house, if as per lease deed it was your liability. He can sue you in civil court or he can adjust the amount of bill from your security.

1 Like

Ravinder Chahal (Manager)     23 June 2011

Hi, 

Thanks for the reply. As of now i am out of India and will be back after 6-7 months atleast. In the mean time what steps can be taken by landlord, 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register