LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

NM (j)     12 October 2016

Wrong jurisdiction of 498a

My wife has filed 498a/406 on me and my brother in Oct-2014 when our MCD was still pending in the family court. Later the MCD was withdrawn just after her getting all her streedhan. Subsequently, a closure report in July-2015 was submitted in the court and all the charges were found baseless and dropped. After this she prayed for re-investigation. The re-investigation was done and in August-2016 the police again dropped all the charges u/s 498a and 406 against my brother, 406 were also dropped against me, but they stuck 498a against me. Now, the Court has framed charges against me. Moreover, the Court doesn’t have the jurisdiction of this 498a case as none of the mentioned incidences ever happened at her current place of residence. She is living at this place after our separation and I have never been here in the past. I also know the case is totally vague and I can win it. I want to know from esteemed members what should I do now? 1. Should I challenge the Court’s jurisdiction of this case? If yes Under what section? 2. Can it be discharged? If yes (Charges already framed) under what section?

Learning

20 Replies

sai narayana   12 October 2016

It's not discharge and it's quash as you are the only one accused in it. The quashing can be done in HC. Wife has right to file cases wherever she resides because of our wife-biased laws.

(Guest)
Wife biased laws.. Lol.. Quash Hc? Lc? Anticipatory bail? Bail? Regular dates, I bet they'll make ur attendance at school shy n cry compared to ur attendance to court dates. Don't waste time and money . crack a deal with the devil. Take MCD.

NM (j)     13 October 2016

Gyan Prakash ji, No i will not go for Divorce. Sai Narayana Ji, Under what section i go HC for Quashing, as chargsheet has already been filed and charges are framed? and Why not a Discharge petition? As far as Jurisdication of a Criminal case is concerned, I think a Court should always consider the Jurisdiction first....

Mahadev   13 October 2016

Hi NM,

Quashing is prayed in the Highcourt u/s 482 CrPC( Criminal Procedure code). Though Quashing is difficult still i feel if properly argued Quashing can be done. I assume your 498A FIR is lodged in the same state where you live and hence you can pray to the same state High Court.  Refer Judgement  Y Abraham Ajith v/s Inspector of Police for Quashing based on Jurisdiction. In this case Madras High court had quashed the case owing to Chennai MM having no Jurisdiction and still taking Cognizance and issuing Summons.  If there is some other judgement i can get hold of i will send them too. Carefully read your FIR and determine which places has your wife mentioned that she was subjected to torture/harassment as that would determine the cause of action and jurisdiction. Read sections 177 CrPC until 188 CrPC as they talk about Jurisdiction of criminal cases.

With due respect and no offences , keep a watch on opposite side lawyer and your lawyer actions as it seems wife backtracking during ongoing MCD, taking back streedhan and then instigating bogus cases seems handiwork of her family members support and most likely both side lawyers planning this too to extract money so as to frustrate and harass you and make you bend over the extortion tactics. I am personally a victim of it and had to change one of my lawyers after confronting him. One of my best friends is exactly the same case as yours i.e wife backtracking and now for 2 or 3 times despite trying for MCD again she just using extortion tactic and raising the settle amount every time. In his case too we found out it were the lawyers who are running the circus :(.

When you apply for Quashing , please add in your prayer to request My Lordship of Highcourt that in case Quashing is rejected, altrernately either pray for speedy trial order i.e High court will give order to finish trial in 6months. Check if in same application you can pray for transfer of your 498A to your place as most likely the cause of action/allegations would have mentioned that it arose in your area. For transfer thing ,try speaking to few lawyers if it can be prayed in same application. 

Lower court may be reluctant to give you discharge petiiton now as charges are already framed. if you know that all charges are  vague and despite that Lower court has taken cognizance and framed charges you know very well why you won't get discharge . So pray to My Lordship in High court and go for Quashing.

Legal cases in our Country are time consuming and costly so if possible try for settlement if it happens else fight. Laws are women oriented and despite cases being false they aren't punished. So keep doors open for settlement wherever possible else FIGHT and teach her a lesson. It's your decision and we all stand by you.

Please feel free to write if you need anything.

Mahadev   13 October 2016

Hi NM,

Quashing is prayed in the Highcourt u/s 482 CrPC( Criminal Procedure code). Though Quashing is difficult still i feel if properly argued Quashing can be done. I assume your 498A FIR is lodged in the same state where you live and hence you can pray to the same state High Court.  Refer Judgement  Y Abraham Ajith v/s Inspector of Police for Quashing based on Jurisdiction. In this case Madras High court had quashed the case owing to Chennai MM having no Jurisdiction and still taking Cognizance and issuing Summons.  If there is some other judgement i can get hold of i will send them too. Carefully read your FIR and determine which places has your wife mentioned that she was subjected to torture/harassment as that would determine the cause of action and jurisdiction. Read sections 177 CrPC until 188 CrPC as they talk about Jurisdiction of criminal cases.

With due respect and no offences , keep a watch on opposite side lawyer and your lawyer actions as it seems wife backtracking during ongoing MCD, taking back streedhan and then instigating bogus cases seems handiwork of her family members support and most likely both side lawyers planning this too to extract money so as to frustrate and harass you and make you bend over the extortion tactics. I am personally a victim of it and had to change one of my lawyers after confronting him. One of my best friends is exactly the same case as yours i.e wife backtracking and now for 2 or 3 times despite trying for MCD again she just using extortion tactic and raising the settle amount every time. In his case too we found out it were the lawyers who are running the circus :(.

When you apply for Quashing , please add in your prayer to request My Lordship of Highcourt that in case Quashing is rejected, altrernately either pray for speedy trial order i.e High court will give order to finish trial in 6months. Check if in same application you can pray for transfer of your 498A to your place as most likely the cause of action/allegations would have mentioned that it arose in your area. For transfer thing ,try speaking to few lawyers if it can be prayed in same application. 

Lower court may be reluctant to give you discharge petiiton now as charges are already framed. if you know that all charges are  vague and despite that Lower court has taken cognizance and framed charges you know very well why you won't get discharge . So pray to My Lordship in High court and go for Quashing.

Legal cases in our Country are time consuming and costly so if possible try for settlement if it happens else fight. Laws are women oriented and despite cases being false they aren't punished. So keep doors open for settlement wherever possible else FIGHT and teach her a lesson. It's your decision and we all stand by you.

Please feel free to write if you need anything.

NM (j)     13 October 2016

NO, she has filed the 498a from a diffrent state. Morover this state is also not her matrimonial home. Actually she got job transfer in this state and hence filed all these cases from here. Morover i have never been to this place (Since her transfer) either! What should i do now? Discharge u/s 239 or Quash U/s 482. OR some other strategy? Why or Why not?

NM (j)     14 October 2016

Since Charges has been framed. Does Discharge petition will be field U/s 245(2) Crpc? Or, Quash U/s 482 will be a better option?

sai narayana   14 October 2016

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/forum/Difference-between-Discharge-and-Quash-26597.asp

https://tilakmarg.com/answers/quashing-of-charge-sheet-by-high-court-or-discharge-by-trial-court/

Mahadev   14 October 2016

Hi NM,

a) Though 498A is lodged in different state where she is working now , can you tell me which place has she mentioned in her FIR that the alleged atrocities took place. I assume its the matrimonial home i.e  your state  where you and she lived together ? Is that right ?

b) Has she mentioned that you also continued the alleged atrocites where she is doing her job now OR the complaint is only restricted to your state?

Samarpan (M)99958670740 (Free legal advice and legal aid cell)     14 October 2016

If all the things what you said are true to the letter, then the better course is to file quash in HC under Section 482 cr.p.c. onthe following grounds: 1.  First investigation could not find any thing against you.  2.  Reinvestigation also reached to the same destination.  3.  Court's framing the charges without evidence (assuming in these two investigations nothing was brought against you) is illegal.  4.  The court has no territorial jurisdiction on the basis of the allegations made in the complaint and FIR.

Samarpan

Samarpan (M)99958670740 (Free legal advice and legal aid cell)     14 October 2016

Once MM frames charges, discharge petition does not lie but revision before ASJ lies.  Even then S.482 cr.p.c. is the better option.

Samparan sir, Is reinvestgation legal? Anyways thanks for the guidance.. Do you have a "sample petition" S482 crpc on the similar 4 points you raised, so that it can be referred?

Samparan sir, Is reinvestgation legal? Anyways thanks for the guidance.. Do you have a "sample petition" S482 crpc on the similar 4 points you raised, so that it can be referred?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register