Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sanjeev (Asst Manager)     03 November 2011

Working on national or festival holiday

Dear All,

I have my query on rules related to working on National or Festival Holiday. There are 2 cases were i need clarity.

1) Office staff working on National or Festival Holiday

2) Factory worker's working on National or Festival Holiday (because National or Festival Holiday is falling on there paricular shift Week ie- 2nd shift Tuesday to Sunday)

Learning

6 Replies

jaykumtekar (Legal Advisor)     03 November 2011

Any staff in the category of workman or any workman working on National Holidays are paid wages for full day and granted one Compensatory off.  Any workman working on PH will get overtime and no compensatory off.

Sanjeev (Asst Manager)     05 November 2011

Thank you,

Can any one give some more fews on this

V. VASUDEVAN (LEGAL COUNSEL)     05 November 2011

Be clear on your query - It is a National Holiday or Festival holiday. Natinonal Holidays are mandatory - Independant Day, Republic Day, Gandhi Jayanthi and the other specified Holidays. For these Holidays, no establishment or factory can deploy workmen/employees, unless prior consent has been obtained from the local labour inspectorate - with a condition of double wages + compensatory off. As for Festival Holidays, these are usually agreed between the employer and the employees/workmen by November for the next calender year and filed with the labour authorities. In case of urgency requiring shift or other employment, the employer may request the employees for working on any such day and provide a compensatory holiday (mutual agreement)

vasudevan

Sanjeev (Asst Manager)     05 November 2011

Dear Vasudevan

Thank you so much. My query is well answered by you.

(Guest)

Dear Sanjeev,

If you make the workers to perform duty on National Holidays, you are required to pay double rate of OTA, while in lieu of other festival holidays you can offer compensatory off, if not OTA, in lieu of the duty performed by them on holidays.

Vineet (Beverage Manager)     21 January 2012

Dear Mr Dingra,

I would like to know if a national holiday can be clubbed with a weekly off. For Instance, our employer would be giving us an off on 26th Jan 2012. I would like to know if this would go down as a National holiday or a weekly off. In that particular week, are we entitled for a weekly off eapart from 26th Jan. I work in a hotel and usually have my wekly off during the week.

Please suggest.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register