Upgrad
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Vaib   13 July 2023

What legal recourse am i able to pursue when money is not returned?

Hello, 

Prior to the 2019 pandemic, I gave my cousin a sum of money. I'm presently attempting to recover that sum. 

My cousin was in serious financial trouble and is actively pursuing funds. I felt pity for him due to his unfortunate business circumstance. He was unable to obtain a loan from the bank, so I took out a loan in my name and transferred the funds to him via netbanking. He was not in good health, so I paid the EMI from my salary. Later, pandemic struck, and he was once again unable to return the money. He has paid approximately 10/60 installments. I will cover the remaining costs. The catch is that none of our family members are aware of it. I assisted him discreetly. 

I have repeatedly asked him to contribute to the loan, but he has refused. He acted as though it was my responsibility to pay the EMIs. I have recently begun to entirely ignore people by not answering calls or responding to messages. He once warned me that if I continue to harass him, he will injure himself, and I may be held responsible. 

I was considering sending him a legal notice, but I don't know how it will affect me. Please advise. 

Learning

4 Replies

Real Soul.... (LEGAL)     13 July 2023

You have any concrete proof that will support your claim, then you can issue a legal notice and file the recovery suit ; but it is really a kind  of cheating you have fallen into, now you can only apply social pressure from his as well as your family members.

You should approach to some persons who could influence him ; you must share this with your family members only if they  can help in this matter otherwise you will get more depressed. If you think he cheated then just you can have to be patient to bear the loss.

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     13 July 2023

Send legal notice for demand to your cousin through local lawyer and if he does not respond notice then file suit for recovery of money against him. 

P. Venu (Advocate)     13 July 2023

Yes, there is very little scope for pursuing legal remedies. At this stage, there need not be qualms in taking friends and relatives into confidence and seeking their assistance for a honorable settlement; after all, you have not done any thing wrong or immoral.

Vaib   14 July 2023

Originally posted by : Advocate Bhartesh goyal

Send legal notice for demand to your cousin through local lawyer and if he does not respond notice then file suit for recovery of money against him. 

Thank you. I'm assuming that he won't take legal notice seriously. What can be done in this situation? 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register