LIVE Online Course on NDPS by Riva Pocha and Adv. Taraq Sayed. Starting from 24th May. Register Now!!
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Sarthak Nayar   22 April 2018

What legal action if a shopkeeper charges more than MRP?

I was charged more than the MRP for a bottle of water in the airport. Kindly suggest what legal action can be taken by me.


 9 Replies

TGK REDDI   22 April 2018

Move Consumer Forum.

Suri.Sravan Kumar (senior)     22 April 2018


Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 April 2018

Complaints with authorities in Consumer Affairs dept, and under Legal Metrology, Consumer Protection Act, Civil suits are recourses for such matters…

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 April 2018

You may get clear opinion from authorities at said Airport if vendor is permitted to sell above MRP and agrees to refund and also a very able LOCAL senior counsel of unshakable repute and integrity specializing in consumer  matters and well versed with LOCAL applicable rules/laws and having successful track record….and worth his/her salt …before initiating complaint..

The water was served chilled/cold!

What is the logic given by seller (shop keeper?) for charging above MRP printed on bottle?

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 April 2018


Do you have bill?

The authorities can also help you to get the bill..and/or you can obtain irrefutable evidence of having bought by payment (above MRP) and bill was declined..

The authorities can also help to understand the seller is what;  shop or hotel or restaurant!

Sarthak Nayar   22 April 2018

Kumar doab sir it was a kiosk in airport, he just stated that he has to pay heavy rent for his shop that's why he took extra money.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 April 2018

IT is a fact .....

IT is also afact that IT cannot overcharge...

1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     22 April 2018

You can approach one and all as already posted in my 1st post...

Seoula Vas (none)     23 April 2018

Dear Mr Reddy,

Your responsibility:
a) Maintain the bill/ receipt paid towards the bottle of water.
b) Save the very bottle of water and keep photographic evidence
c) Have a Legal Notice issued to the Kiosk owner/ Manager - Demand full refund (not just of excess amount paid)
    and cost of issuing Legal Notice. Record details of conversation between both of you in the said Notice.
d) Point No.(c) above is optional. In the alternate, make a Complaint to the Legal Metrology Department on their Hotline number.
    Keep details of name of enterprise and location of stall/ kiosk at the Airport ready. There will be one LM Dept for the
    concerned State. They will inspect the Complaint and impose filnes, etc.
e) Simultaneously, you may also initiate Consumer Dispute before the District Consumer Redressal Forum.
    You will require to engage a lawyer for this step. Legal Notice cautioning of legal consequences will have to be issued prior.
    This may be done in the same Notice as under Point No.(c) above if you are serious about taking action.
f) File the Consumer Complaint and pray for cost of Application, Legal fees and monetary compensation. There are plenty of
   Judgements to support your case. Law is also on your side. What the Airport Kiosk owner is doing it appears, is illegal.
    You will also save others from being cheated by him/her in the future.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query