LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

manish chaturvedi   10 June 2023

WHAT HAPPEN IF MEDIATION FAILED IN 498A . AND CASE BACK TO COURT

Respected sir please guide me what will happen now when mediation fails in the mediation center and case back to court. As an opponent not ready for mediation.

Learning

11 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     10 June 2023

If the mediation fails then the mediator will send back the case to the trial court with remarks 'mediation failed', after that the trial court will begin the trial as prer procedures of law.

manish chaturvedi   10 June 2023

respected sir .. that's what I want to know .. what procedure takes place now.

anubhav Bhatt   11 June 2023

Dear Client, If the mediation fails, then the investigation will be going on, and finally Police Report will file before the court for more clarification you may contact us then I'll explain properly about your case.

Advocate Anurag Bhatt
Allahabad High Court
Mobile 9198889990.

Advocate Bhartesh goyal (advocate)     11 June 2023

Matter will be decided by court by taking evidence of both parties and considering material on record.

Niharika Lohan   12 June 2023

Hi Manish, I’m Adv Niharika and here is my take on your query.

Mediation process is kept under the law for the benefit of both the parties. It is an effort to bring both the parties to an amicable settlement if it benefits the two.

It is not necessary that they reach a conclusion, a mediation proceeding also fails. When such an incident happens, the case is sent back to the court and then the process of a regular trial starts.

Now since this is a case under sec 498–A, IPC, it will be dealt like a warrants case, which will commence with the compliance of sec 207, CrPC that is supply of copies (incase of a case instituted on a police report) and if the case was instituted otherwise than on a report by the police, then the magistrate will take the prosecution evidence first.

Then after taking the evidence of the prosecution if the magistrate finds that no case is made out against you (accused) then he may discharge you (that is the case will be dismissed against you) but if he finds reasons to be just and valid to make a case against you then you will be charged by the magistrate and the trial will go on then. You will bring your evidence of defence to prove your case. Accordingly based on the facts, circumstances and merit of the case, you will be either Acquitted (when you are found not guilty) or convicted (meaning, you will be held guilty) with find/imprisonment up to max 7 years or both. 

I’m attaching a relevant thread for your ease and convenient reading below. Kindly find the link.

https://www.lawyersclubindia.com/experts/steps-after-mediation-failed-in-498a-case-212271.asp

I hope this information is fruitful to you. In case you have further questions, you can reach me via email at Niharikalohan@yahoo.com

1 Like

Jayesh Malhotra (Practicing Adv.)     12 June 2023

Well Manish, It depends at what stage the case is sent for mediation. Can be sent before or after registration of FIR or in between the proceedings of a case may be before or after framing of charge.  Not always necessary to send before trial takes place. Suppose, it is sent after Evidence for prosecution and completion of Section 313 proceedings, and when the case is revert back to court then court will continue taking evidence for defence.

Adv. Niharika has perfectly placed the procedure of trial before you. You can catch up with it.

And max punishment for this offence is 3 years and Fine. It is not 7 years. Fine must be imposed upon the accused because the word 'and' is used in between.

1 Like

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     13 June 2023

no facts hve been stated.                            

manish chaturvedi   13 June 2023

Fact it that.. i gt anticipatory bail from high court . high court order to love this case in mediation centre but it won't work . and case back to court

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     15 June 2023

If the mediation fails then the case would be reverted to the trial court for further proceedings.

Afthab أنور   15 August 2023

I'm also going for mediation in police station for fake 498a by wife in police station in another state(Andhra).

Do I need Anticipatory bail?

Will I get time to take anticipatory bail if mediation fails and FIR registered?

Ashish Sharma   20 August 2023

How much more time it will take to move  in session court for further proceeding?

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register