LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

(Guest)

What does an LPO do?

Beneath the veneer of tailor made articles and snazzy websites, very little is said about the actual work that lawyers do in LPOs. So I have attempted to cut through the sales pitch and offering a version of the work that we do.

1. Legal Document Review - We get documents in a batch and a certain set of criteria that would make the document relevant or not. We read the document and decide if the document is Relevant or not, and mark it accordingly.

2. Contract Management - Largely, there are two tasks that are performed here. Abstraction and Drafting. During Abstraction we record all the important details of a contract on to a template or a format and send it to the client .This is used, generally, as an input for their contract management software.

Drafting is where we..well... draft the contracts. Usually its a client provided template that we attempt to match. Sometimes we may review the contract and edit it according to client specifications. Training is, of course provided. Good English Communication (Written and Oral) is quite important.

3. IP - No Idea. But I have heard stuff like they perform prior art searches for the patent applications, draft patent applications, Review examination reports and so on. But this is not verified.

4. Legal Research - Drafting memos on certain points of law. Usually, online legal resources such as lexis nexis etc are used. Research is also used for lead generation.

Let me know if there is any other service that i am not aware of, or may have missed.

Learning

4 Replies

adv. rajeev ( rajoo ) (practicing advocate)     21 September 2010

Thanks for the information.

Jenny Hallward (1)     28 September 2010

LPO is the buzz word in today's legal industry in India. Legal Process Outsourcing refers to the practice of a law firm or a corporation, obtaining legal support services from an outside law firm or a legal support services company

i think is would be  a lucrative career for lawyer.

Mohammed Ameenuddin (Sr. Contracts Manager)     19 October 2010

It is true as said by Tushar, LPO also majors into Litigation support services, legal reserach and Analysis, Document Review, Legal Transcripttion, Contract Drafting, Review and Management, Document Management Services, Corporate Due Deligence Services, IP Services. Also, LPO teams of Attorneys are handling different kind of transcriptts like Divorce, Patent Infringment, Medical malpractice etc.,

Abhinav (Associate)     31 December 2010

As a result of the high litigation costs and fees to law firms or attorneys, legal outsourcing firms in India have become a new practical choice for both multinational clients and job-seekers alike. It has been seen that outsourcing in any sector (IT, law etc.) starts with lower-end work. But, this trend is currently changing and more clients are seeking high-end specialized services too in all sectors of the LPO industry. The LPO sector shall continue to grow, going by the current shift in the demands of the market. The legal outsourcing industry is still new and has not fully developed. We have very few offshore legal service providers that provide specialized high end legal services. Once this trend of specialized high-end legal outsourcing gains more pace, greater amount and variety of legal work will be outsourced.

Abhinav

https://www.sddglobal.com

SDD Global Solutions

High End Legal Outsourcing

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register