LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Chetan (faculty)     29 September 2023

To claim lended money

Dear Sir

Greetings for the day!

My query is ..

I had given/tranferred money in the account of my married elder sister who was govt. school teacher as she asked for financial help. Proofs are there like ..Deposit slips and online trasaction details w.r.t to her bank account.etc. She promissed to return as early as possible. Unfortunately, she met with an accident and expired. I did not tell about my money even to her husband and children to avoid any trouble to them. 

After around 2 years of my sister's death, I got a call from sister's children that their father (my brother-in-law) is planning for second marriage and fighting with them as they are not agreeing for his marriage. That time I told them about my money and to tell father return my money first which was used for finishing/extension of his house etc. and also provided copy of deposits/transactions details.

Even after giving reminders he has not returned anything. It is around 12 years and  I need money back for my own family and children.

Please, suggest how to get money back with interest as he does not bother to return money.

Thanking you in anticipation of legal advice,please.




 3 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     29 September 2023

The time limit for claiming the loan amount is three years only.\

Your claim is barred by limitation.

Besides you have given money to your sister and not your broither in law, hence ihe is not liable to return the loan amount.

The issue of remarriage of your brother in law is his personal rights hence in the name of demand for repayment of loan you cannot interfere in his personal affairs, besides he is not liable to return the loan availed by his wife that too after a decade.

Chetan (faculty)     29 September 2023

Thank you sir for your expert opinion.


T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     30 September 2023

You are welcome

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register