IBC Code: Complete Overview and Drafting Workshop. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Devdutt Rana   25 April 2020

tenant not leaving the flat

I gave flat at rent to a couple.Now I want them to leave, the husband is ready to leave but his wife is not leaving the property so what should we do take the possession of the house.


 2 Replies

Hemant Agarwal (ha21@rediffmail.com Mumbai : 9820174108)     25 April 2020

1. File an "Eviction Suit" in the local Civil Court, against Husband and Wife. Application must be supported with proper documentary evidences and witnesses, to obtain a favourable Eviction Order.

Keep Smiling .... Hemant Agarwal
VISIT: www.chshelpforum.com


Karishma Yadav   26 April 2020


Thank you for your questions.

To evict a tenant, one has to establish grounds for eviction, send a legal notice to the tenant to vacate the property, and provide them a reasonable time to reply.

If the tenant refuses to evict the property after receiving the notice, an Eviction suit has to be filed in a civil court under whose jurisdiction the rented property is situated.  

When can you evict a tenant-?

  1. Rent not paid- when tenant intentionally does not pay the rent on time.
  2. Sub-letting- when tenant without permission allows someone else to stay in the house.
  3. Damaging the property- when tenant damages the property and refuses to pay for damages.
  4. Self- use- if the landlord wants the property for personal use.
  5. Commercial use- when the tenant is using the residential property to run a business

Hope that answers your question.



Karishma Yadav

1 Like

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query