LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Asiya fatima   24 February 2023

Surname problem on passport

Hello, I am an Indian student who will be applying for Masters in the UK in this month. I made my passport in Jan 2023. I realized that my name is printed as 'Asiya Fatima' under given name and my surname is empty. 'Fatima' should have been under surname but it is under given name. I need to give a surname 'as given in the passport' while applying to universities. My passport agent told that to correct this i need to again go through the whole passport re-issue process which will take 2-3 months and I dont have time for it as university deadlines are closing. He said I can treat 'Fatima' as a surname and it wont be a problem. Please advice.


 5 Replies

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     24 February 2023

If you have noted the discrepancy at the time of issuance of passport, you could have objected to it, i.e., you were required to attend the interview for issuing passport.

At that time you will be shown with the details and you were required to confirm the same, whereas you seem not to have complied with the procedure. However if you want any correction to be made in the passport you may have to apply for reissue of passport and get the rectifications done as per requirement.

If your university is acccepting your passport as it is then you can proceed or else you may have to wait for the process to be completed. 

Asiya fatima   24 February 2023

Can it be done in Tatkaal?

Shashi Dhara   24 February 2023

Yes you can try .

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     25 February 2023

Seek tatkal services of an agent in the passport office.

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     23 September 2023

query relates to procedure and not on law.


have you contacted passport office?     

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register