LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

sachindeshpande (branch manager)     02 March 2013

Student

I am student of Law. Doing LLB from pune university. I want to know how to search the cases decided by Supreme Court of India 

For example If I want to search the case of following 

Pandurang Dattatray Khandekar -Appllant 

Vs 

Bar council of Maharashtra, Bombay & Goa - respondent ( 1984 ) 2 SCC 556

i come to know that the decision is in the 1984 but 

what  2 stands for

what SCC stands for

what 556 stands for 

thanks 

Learning

4 Replies

Ajit Singh Cheema (practising Advocate)     03 March 2013

1984 is the year of publication ,2 is the volume of Publication ,SCC stand for Supreme Court Cases ,Which is the name of journal in which the judgement has been published ,556 is the page on which judgement has been published.

Vikram Singh Chaudhary (Managing Partner)     03 March 2013

Dear Student, A good question asked by you because being an advocate I feel that people feel shame in asking such type of things but I say never feel shame because law field is very vast and no one can be complete in this field.  

Meaning of  2   is  volume scc stand  for Supreme Court Cases 556 are the page number and  1984 is the year.

so you will find your case 

Vishesh Kumar   24 December 2020

Greetings!

I saw most of your queries have been answered, but I think you also want to know that from where you can get access to these judgements.

You can easily get the judgements from SCC Online or from the supreme court's site itself.

Thanks!

Shreya Mittal   11 January 2021

Greetings!

You can search cases on the website of SCC Online or you can buy the subscripttion of other online legal databases or use their free trial. Few of these databases are Manupatra, HeinOnline, Lexis Advance, JSTOR database.

In this example; (1984) 2 SCC 556
1984 is the year of the judgement 

2 is the volume of publication 

SCC stands for Supreme Court Cases and, 

556 is the page number. And everything together is called Citation.

So, when you will fill in this information on the legal database website, you will find everything you need regarding the case law. 

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register