LAW Courses
LAW Courses

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Raghav Mahajan   19 June 2021

State for marriage registration

My brother is from Punjab and Bhabhi is from Himachal Pradesh. Can they register marriage in Punjab only or Himachal Pradesh also? We are Hindu family.

 5 Replies

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     19 June 2021

As per Hindu Marriage Act, 1955, you can get your marriage registered in which place your marriage is solemnized. If it is not possible at the place where the bride or groom residing (he/she lives there for at least 6 months).

Raghav Mahajan   19 June 2021

Marriage solemnized in Punjab but there is more legal formalities in Punjab than Himachal and also difficult to get work done without agents who charge hefty amount. Also Bhabhi's father have political connections in Himachal which may help. So is it possible to register marriage in Himachal? Condition of 6 months stay is satisfied.

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     20 June 2021

Ok.  You can do it at Himachal pradesh.

Nirali Nayak   21 June 2021

Hello sir, greetings of the day.
As per your query, yes you can register the marriage in both Punjab and Haryana.
Currently, there are two legislation framed for Marriage Registration Laws, they are:
The Hindu Marriage Act, 1955: a marriage under this law will be valid only if both the parties to the marriage are Hindus.
The Special Marriage Act, 1954: For religions other than Hindus, Buddhists, Jains and Sikhs, this marriage act is valid.
For the purpose of registration of marriage, one can approach the office of the Sub Divisional Magistrate under whose jurisdiction the marriage took place or if either of the spouses stayed for at least for a period of six months before the marriage in that place. 
Some documents are required for verification. After the due verification of all the documents submitted by the parties is done, a day is fixed for registration which is communicated to the parties. Both the parties, along with the Gazetted Officer who attended their marriage, are required to be present on that date before the Sub-Divisional Magistrate. After all the process is concluded, and the SDM is satisfied, the certificate is granted on the same day.
Hope this solves your query.
Nirali Nayak
Law Student

1 Like

Raghav Mahajan   21 June 2021

Thank you Ms. Nayak☺. (BTW its Himachal not Haryana)

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query