Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Shreekanth (Manager)     17 October 2014

Skipping police investigation

Hi

My friend is working in Chandigarh, prior to this he was working in some different part of the country in a public limited company dealing in retail supply chain. A person claiming to be a customer had lodged a criminal suite in the local district court against one of the franchisee of his retail chain which he was handling. The complainant claimed for a replacement of a product which was granted by consumer court and after winning the EA in consumer court the customer filed a separate complaint against the franchisee and my friend for mental harassment. He named my friend as a co accused. Now after 4 years since leaving the job he gets a call from the local police station located in a different state calling him for interrogations under section 202. He took advise from local friends who advised him to ignore the calls from police to appear for interrogation and fearing that the police would harass him if he makes himself available for interrogation. He does not even recall the customer and his involvement. He is unaware of the incident that happened. Please avaoid what will the implications be to my friend under these circumstances

Learning

2 Replies

Ashok, Advocate (Lawyer at Delhi)     17 October 2014

Usually, it is expected that he should cooperate with police in their investigation and explain all the facts and circumstances of the case showing his innocence. If he does not cooperate with police, there is a likelihood that the police may take a one-sided view.

T. Kalaiselvan, Advocate (Advocate)     19 October 2014

Ask him not to run a risk by avoiding the calls of police.  Let him answer the police call and attend the investigation and furnish the information known to him.  This problem will persist if he ignores it at this stage, the passing of time is no answer to the alleged incidence.  Let him first attend the case and know the details instead of sitting at far of place and keep telling that he does not remembers any such incidence, this is just a tactics to avoid confrontation which is not at all advisable.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register