New LIVE Course: Learn the Practical Nuances of IPR Drafting by Adv. Gautam Matani. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

karthick21   06 July 2017

Settlement deed

Hi, my ancestral property is not registered yet. and we only have the settlement deed and also lost the mother document. so could someone advise how to register this property.. FYI we are living here for a very long time more than 25yrs.


 10 Replies

Arjun Kohli   06 July 2017

I suggest you approach the relevant authorities and inform them about the situation. Keep all the documents that indirectly prove your right over the land, if not directly, plus the stay of 25+ years will only help, provided witnesses can attest to that. However, before indulging in any lengthy process, I'd suggest you approach the Land department first and figure out what can be done.

karthick21   06 July 2017

thanks Arjun!! but little scared to approach land dept.. as you know most of them are not giving proper solution and money to be spent to them is extremly high....

1 Like

Arjun Kohli   06 July 2017

That is definitely a concern many citizens tend to experience in our nation on the ground level. Though, I cannot assure you but if I come across anything more concrete, I shall post it here. Meanwhile, you can always inquire in an indirect manner if you are not sure about the ethics of the said department and get an idea as to what the situation could be.

1 Like

Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 July 2017

Lodge missing report with police. Alongwith missing report the newspaper publication might have to be released. Thereafter certified copies may be obtained.


Kumar Doab (FIN)     06 July 2017

Obtain mutation records along with all link documents from O/o Authority/concerned official say; Patwaari.

O/o Authority/concerned official say; Patwaari would let you what all has to be done.

If you are unable to resolve take help of a very able local senior counsel of unshakable repute and integrity specializing in revenue/civil matters.



1 Like

kavksatyanarayana (subregistrar/supdt.(retired))     06 July 2017

You queried that your ancestral property is not registered but you have settlement deed? then how do you have the settlement deed?  If the Settlement deed is registered and lost, then go to Registrar Office concerned and apply for certified copy. If you don't know the year or number then you can apply for a search report and then apply for certified copy.

1 Like

karthick21   07 July 2017


Mother document is also not registerd.. this is my grand grand grand fathers proprty.. you know those days they didnt worry about registration!! so now we want all our documents to be clear... Thanks will check with local advocates to get a solution.

Kumar Doab (FIN)     09 July 2017

Start from Mother document.

Here it means  from record of 1st entry in revenue records (say Shajra-e-Aks) and your own counsel would guide you further.

J. Raj george (Executive)     27 November 2017

File a suit for declaration showing giving notice to a doubtful defendants.and then register the court order in subregister office with in one month of order

J. Raj george (Executive)     09 January 2019

If no body else is claiming you can file declaration for possession and right in court filing available evidence for right and passion. The court will give ORDER. You can get the deed registered in sub register office within one month of the order.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register