Negotiable Instruments: Exhaustive Coverage by Adv Roma Bhagat. Register Now!
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Mr. khan   04 February 2022

Related to section 498A (Dowry harrassment)

My parent's demand and expectations for dowry have increased drastically to the point,where they forced my wife to leave the house and go to her parents house despite her being pregnant of 5 months, all this because my elder brother just got married and his wife brought lots of dowry in terms of home appliances and cash, and now my parents said that they don't want her to be home at any cost until and unless she brings the money and now they are threatening to throw me out of the house as well, i do have the recorded audio clips of their threats, what should I do ??


 4 Replies

Sudhir Kumar, Advocate (Advocate)     04 February 2022

Criminal case appears to be on the cards.


However, it is rare that the husband is not accused in case of dowry demand or domestic violence.  You being co-complianant with your wife can save yourwself from this trouble.  In that case you will be witnesws and not accuswed.


Now regarding you being thrown out of house (or just being threatened) this is another evidence .


You have not commmenteed :-


  1. what is your profession?
  2. what isw your parents professiion?
  3. how the house was procured.

Mr. khan   04 February 2022

Ans 1) I work with Aditya Birla capital as a financial consultant.

Ans 2) My mother is a homemaker and My father used to be a full time freelance travel agent, now having aged , he carries out almost all his work through his phone rarely going to office.

PALLABH HALDAR   04 February 2022


Your wife can't be kicked out of her matrimonial home wether it's owned by you or your father.SC had passed a landmark judgement a year ago.

First of all file an application u/s 23 of DV act to get Residing order and other reliefs under relevant sections.

You can book brothers wife under IPC 504. 

But as a preliminary step I would suggest approach police station let your wife submit a Police complain in Women Cell this will be sufficient enough to put certain pressure on the respondents.

For any other help you can contact me.

Advocate Pallabh Haldar


Mr. khan   05 February 2022

Ans 3) Sir the house was procured after my father sold his ancestral plot inherited from my grandfather, and managed to buy this house in year 2002, with the purchase formalities being completed by June 2002.

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register