Criminal Trident Pack: IPC, CrPC and IEA by Sr. Adv. G.S Shukla and Adv. Raghav Arora
LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

pankaj Kumar   11 June 2022

Refuse to returning my original documents

Hello I am  Pankaj , I am studying in 4th sem 2nd year in CSE branch, I want  to discontinue my engineering because of some personal reason, so I gone to our college to take my documents back, but our college principal denied to give them back. they demanding to pay 3rd and 4th year fee. I don't want to study engineering any more then why I have to pay the fee . I request to all help me to get my documents back from the college.


 9 Replies

anubhav Bhatt   11 June 2022

Issue legal notice yo them for more clarification you may contact us then I'll elaborate properly.
Advocate Anurag Bhatt
Allahabad High Court

Janak Raj Vatsa (Advocate) (Lawyer consultant)     11 June 2022

send a legal notice to the Principal to return your documents since you don't intend to continue studies further within 30 days. if denied, then file a case in consumer court

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     11 June 2022

The two issues involved in the query.

Paying term fees for the rest of the semesters:  The college has every right to demand and collect the legitimate fees due to them, as they can not fill up the vacancy and has to suffer a financial loss of such fees if a student wishes to abandon the course in the middle, whatever the reasons that may be.  College can legitimately recover such fees.

But, they can not withhold the qualification certificates provided to the college for purpose of verification and those documents are not offered as security for payment of future fees.  You can issue a simple three-sentence notice, and make a copy of the Ministry of HRD, UGC, and University by registered post.

Registered NOTICE dt.......................

. The complainant ..Pankaj .is a bonafide student of........2nd....... Year/4th Semester of..CSECourse with roll no.............residing at.........................(Full address ) issue notice as follows

1 The student has been requesting for the return of the original certificates for over one year, and the college is not returning them and demanding fees for the future semesters.

2.. As such retention and not returning original certificates after verification and after several demands is against MHRD/UGC/University circulars/orders/notification, the Principal is hereby called upon for returning of original documents within a week from receipt of this notice as such retention is illegal as per UGC/AICTE/MHRD orders



Copy to  UGC, New Delhi

Copy to MHRD, New Delhi

Copy to ...................University...............

Copy to AICTE

Dr J C Vashista (Advocate)     12 June 2022

Did you request the college authorities in writing for return of original testimonials ? If so, what is the result ?


P. Venu (Advocate)     16 June 2022

Higher Educational Institutions cannot demand fees for more than one semester/year. So alao, they cannot retain original certificates. Succinct instructions in the question of refund of fees have been issued by UGC which could be accessed at

Attached File : 38535 20220616210115 5437737 ugc notice reg fees refund eng.pdf downloaded: 6 times
1 Like

SIVARAMAPRASAD KAPPAGANTU (Retired Manager)     17 June 2022

Till now, I presume you have been dealing with the College authorities orally to return your certificates. Now, please send a request by way of a letter covering:

  1. Your decision to discontinue your studies
  2. Confirmation that you paid all fees and other expenses if any up-to-date with receipt numbers, date etc.
  3. Request to return all the Certificates and other papers submitted by you to the college within ten days

And deliver this letter against acknowledgment and if they refuse to give acknowledgment, send the letter to the Principal by Registered Post Acknowledgement Due. 

If no positive reply, get a Legal Notice to the College Principal with a copy to the Chancellor of the University to which the college is affiliated and other authorities concerned.

This will surely make the College return your certificates.

G.L.N. Prasad (Retired employee.)     17 June 2022

Please do not admit or inform about "Discontinuation of studies" as it is not necessary, relevant, and amounts to an admission.  Adhere to the issue "Return original qualification certificates as per MHRD/UGC/AICTE directives"

pankaj Kumar   19 June 2022

they refuse to give me a original documents.

KUNAL   19 June 2022

issue legal notice. they cannot withhold your documents

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Start a New Discussion Unreplied Threads

Popular Discussion

view more »

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query