LCI Learning

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on LinkedIn

Share on Email

Share More

Prateek Jain (student)     28 May 2011

refund of non refundable admission fee


After clearing an entrance test i was asked to submit an amount of Rs 25000/- for confirming my seat.The amount was said to be Non refundable in case admission was not taken.Note that only 2 days were given after the entrance test results were declared to deposit the amount.I deposited the amount.But afterwards, owing to some personal problems i couldn't take admission.I made my decision clear to the concerned college well in advance and asked them to refund the amount .Since then I hav been sending mails to the college every month but to no avail.

please tell me as to what course of action I could resort to in such circumstances.Do i have any remedy in this case?? If so, then, please let me know at the earliest.


 4 Replies

hema (law officer)     28 May 2011

Yes.  you can file a case under consumer protection Act in district consumer forum and you will get relief. 

Prateek Jain (student)     28 May 2011

thanx a mistake i sent u a no thanx gesture so pls don't consider that


build your case strong - take the details of numbers of seats available and the allotment of your seat to another sdudent after your cancellation etc. The institution may argue that the refund cannot be given since it would cause a loss, which you will have to break. Non refund of deposit is illegal. At the best, they can deduct a small percentage of administrative charges and nothing more.


Prateek Jain (student)     30 May 2011

thanx for ur suggetion Mr Vasudevan.It is not possible for me to know the student to whom the seat was allotted.Other than that i hav all the evidence as is required to build a strong case.Could you please tell me the procedure of applying to a district forum ,as in like, how to contact them .what details to share with them and he like.I am not quite sure from where to initiate the case.please let me know asap..!!

Leave a reply

Your are not logged in . Please login to post replies

Click here to Login / Register  

Post a Suggestion for LCI Team
Post a Legal Query